Question on Midway Buffaloes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wm3456

Airman
Mar 7, 2008
does anyone know what color the interor of the F2A-3's at Midway were? I'm curious about the cockpit as well as wheel well and other interior spaces.
Also, any idea who named the darned things "Buffalo"? And why?

does anyone know what color the interor of the F2A-3's at Midway were? I'm curious about the cockpit as well as wheel well and other interior spaces.
God know where the name "buffalo" came from. More than likely they were delivered to the fleet with bare metal interiors and wheel wells. By the time Midway took place most of those aircraft probably went through depot level maintenance - the interiors were probably zinc chromate green, the wheel wells painted in the same colors as the underside of the aircraft - just a guess from photos I seen.

see a resemblance?

Attachments

• buffalotruth.gif
    buffalotruth.gif
    140.4 KB · Views: 976
Cause "F*cking Ugly Flying Feces' was not politically correct and "Leviathan Poop" was too long.

you owe me a cup of coffe cause i spilled it laughing:D

but i think its a good nice plane.

Bad tactics can make any plane look silly.

regards

American airplanes: Bo - Bu

Brewster F2A Buffalo

Some good pictures there.

Normaly you can have google traslate that (Russian, the 1st link), but the page isn't working with that right now. (it's worked before)

And the biggest external difference is that the F2A-3 was fitted with a frameless sliding canopy. (the rear decking was still framed) And many also seem to have had the prop spinner removed for operations. (possibly to improve cooling) There is a slight difference in the lenght of the nose on the F2A-1, F2A-2, and F2A-3 due to CoG orientation. And the F2A-1/B-239 had a smaller spinner than later models and lacked the large plexiglass panels on the belly. (for downward view)

The British were fond of alliterative aircraft names (Hawker Hart/Hurricane/Hind) and Buffalo probably just popped into somebody's head when they heard Brewster ... but it is my understanding that the name did come from England.

By the way, the aviation museum in Helsinki has a Buffalo tail wheel which they claim is the last surviving piece of the breed.

Bad as it was, at least it accomplished more than Brewster's SB2A Buccaneer (Bermuda to the Brits) I don't think any of those even saw combat service.

No, and Brewster went defunct before many could be built, only service as target towing a/c.

But on paper the performance of the SB2A was attractive, i don't know how well it actually performed in service though. (bomb load was a bit small though)

KK89,

Over a thousand Buccaneers and Bermudas were built. What I've read indicates that it was woefully underpowered and unmanouverable. The specs look pretty good (slightly slower but more range than the SB2C) but wars aren't won on paper...

A huge waste of money and resources. Few nations other than the US could afford such a boondoggle.

Hmm, I didn't know that (on the numbers), I wonder what made it so underpowered, at a loaded weight similar to the P-47D, and 1,600 hp (for the R-2600 powered versions, some used R-2800's iirc) it shouldn't be underpowered, and especially not with the R-2800 or more powerful -2600.

And wing loading was decent, along with high lift NACA 23000 series airfoil. (common to nearly all USN a/c)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back