Question on Panel Lines for the Mitsubishi G3M Nell

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Ed

Airman 1st Class
Oct 27, 2009
Currently I'm building the 1/72 Mitsubishi G3M Nell from Hasegawa. I noticed in the instructions that there is a panel line that runs right along the center of the fuselage, right where the two halves mate. Am I supposed to fill and sand the fuselage halves, and then scribe a panel line over it? Any advice would be appreciated.

If there was the panel line you should engrave the one of course. You should compare the area of the model to drawings of the bomber to make you sure about it. There can be a mistake in the instruction.

Wurger -

I've thought about the possibility of mistakes in the instructions, and honestly I feel like deciding that Hasegawa is wrong about this so I don't have to rescribe a line after all the work of erasing the joint (a difficult job for yours truly and one I'm not so great at). However the other references I've checked indicate that Hasegawa is correct (unfortunately for me).

Here's another thing - the instructions admit where the information given is not for sure. They call part of one camoflague scheme "speculative", which leads me to think that they're being very scrupulous about accuracy. Who would have thought that about one of the best manufacturers around, who are from Japan and making a kit of a Japanese aircraft?

Capt Vick -

Not a stupid question at all, a very good one. Actually the instruction sheet shows seperate views for top and bottom. I also just saw another view that was combined, as you said. However even on this I can see a panel line right along the center. Also, the pattern of panel lines on the model itself would indicate a line down the center, which does not appear on the nose cone. Strangely, I have an old Arco Aircam book on the Nell (remember those?) which is useless on the subject, other to confirm that the nose cone is solid and without panel lines.

I guess I've answered my own question here. But I was hoping to have someone tell me I didn't have to do this little piece of unpleasant work that I'll likely massacre.

Thanks for your input, both of you.

Wurger -

I've thought about the possibility of mistakes in the instructions, and honestly I feel like deciding that Hasegawa is wrong about this so I don't have to rescribe a line after all the work of erasing the joint (a difficult job for yours truly and one I'm not so great at). However the other references I've checked indicate that Hasegawa is correct (unfortunately for me).

Here's another thing - the instructions admit where the information given is not for sure. They call part of one camoflague scheme "speculative", which leads me to think that they're being very scrupulous about accuracy. Who would have thought that about one of the best manufacturers around, who are from Japan and making a kit of a Japanese aircraft?

Unfortnately thinking that Hasegawa is infallible is quite common in all over the world.But it is not true. It is enough to have a look at the 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX.( reboxed by Revell as well).Its wingsapn and the fuselage length are one big mistake.The ICM one is better taking its dimensins into consideration.

You have mentioned other sources for the bomber. Which ones?

BTW Most of these easy drawings show the top and bottom views of an aircraft.Usually the left is from the undersidse one and the right the top view.

Last edited:
Assuming that Hasegawa (or anyone else) is inflallible is a form of laziness - a sin to which I readily admit. It relieves me of the headache of seeking out reference material. In this case I happen to have one whole book devoted to the Nell, which obviously makes me an expert. The book is from the Arco/Aircam series, published in 60's I believe. I've also done a little bit of searching on the internet - all of about 5 minutes - and came up with a drawing that shows the center panel line. I also have a vacuform model in 1/48th scale from Sanger which is useless but I look at it anyway since I have it there with me in my basement.

Pretty impressive job of research I've done.

The Hasegawa drawings, accurate or not, are at least very clear and detailed. However another question I have involves the landing gear. I'm making it retracted, and it appears as though there are large gaps between the tires and the landing gear doors. Is this correct or could there be some sort of rubber covering, as the Arco book seems to indicate? I can't quite tell from either source.

Perhaps there are some questions that can't be definitively answered about certain aircraft. But this is why I come around here - I'm willing to listen to anyone with an opinion.

Mr. Ed,

I do remember those books from the Arco/Aircam series. I have about a half dozen myself. Ah memories!

And on Hasegawa, I used to think they were the cats pajama's...until I got their Betty/Ohka kit...they have some dogs.

:lol:

I'm actually a 1/48th scale guy that's temporarily fooling around in 1/72 scale in order to get his aircraft modelling sea legs back after a decades-long hiatus (I've done some armor and figures since then). I also like twin and 4 engine aircraft, hence the current Hasagawa obsession (I'm also building their B-26 Marauder). I'm looking forward to doing more Tamyia, Pro-Modeller and Accurate Miniatures kits. I try to avoid the worst manufacturers because I'm simply not a good enough modeller to make a bad kit into anything even half good. It's not a matter of being loyal to my brands, just a desire to make this hobby as easy as possible. I want to be able to put a tube of glue in the box, shake it, and then open up the top and find a completed model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back