Question on World War II USAAF Instrument Ratings (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Southron

Airman
Mar 13, 2012
I am a civilian pilot. I have seen several World War II air force accident reports and have noted that the pilot was listed as having a "White" Instrument Rating.

In civil aviation, a pilot either has an "Instrument Rating" or not. What were the World War II military Instrument Ratings "color codes" all about?

Does the USAF currently employ a similar system of "color coded" Instrument ratings for contemporary military pilots?

THANKS!

I don't know about the WW2 ratings but in todays world US Military pilots are instrument rated by the time they are winged. They may or may not get their FAA certificates (most do).

It is still used in the UK.
The UK civil Aviation Authority still recogizes military amber or white instrument rating to cover the Instrument Meteorological Conditions Rating. Rating and category of pilots noted. In case of fighter pilots the instruments ratings are White, Green and Master green. In case of transport and Helicopters flying category is classified into D-White, C-White, C-Green, B-Green and A-Master Green. Instructor category classified into C, B, A2 and A1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back