Question to our English friends

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bloody hell. And to think that my early experiences in highschool where the "yankees" and southerners were at odds with each other. Sheesh. Is the UK as divisive as this thread indicates? Crum, I hope not. I thought I liked you guys for your stability over the eons. I guess I'm just another ignorant American.

Bloody hell. And to think that my early experiences in highschool where the "yankees" and southerners were at odds with each other. Sheesh. Is the UK as divisive as this thread indicates? Crum, I hope not. I thought I liked you guys for your stability over the eons. I guess I'm just another ignorant American.

Matt - I'm a firm believer in the nation-state, although lefties often rail it as evil and interfering with the their vision of global government. I think most times a nation does not have a representative state that there will be significant levels of dissent. Although the history of Britain is more complicated than that, I think there will always be that unsatisfied element.

Wasn't the 14th Century voted the worst century to be alive in Great Britain? I never said that the 1940s was a golden age for Great Britain, but it certainly was for Britishness. Maybe it will take adversity for the Britons to realise their culture again.

The positives of British society are few and far between - it's certainly not the worst country in the world but it's being dragged down. Great Britain is too soft; the last great example of defiance was by Enoch Powell in '68. The majority of the nation came out in force to support him when he was sacked - but the British government proved the lie that is British democracy by 'knowing better than the British people'.

The country is going down the drain slowly but surely. As for national divide - it's all over ... the English hate the Welsh and Scottish; the Scottish and Welsh hate the English. The south hates the north, and the north hates the south. Stability in the United Kingdom has never been achieved any longer than 50 years ... only the violence has been quelled, for now.

Fact is every country has its divides. Not that long ago there were racial riots in Sydney, over the issue of the fact that parts of Sydney and other capital cities are starting to become a little bit too multicultural in an unthought out policy that will lead to all the problems of elsewhere. Fact is it never worked overseas long term, why should Australia expect it to work here?

Oh, I will point out that I am Australian. Once you get too many different issues from different countries with respect to rights and responsibilities it becomes almost impossible for Society to go anywhere but to Hell in a shopping trolley down the side of a cliff...

Last edited:
I thought I liked you guys for your stability over the eons. I guess I'm just another ignorant American.

Sure, very stable.
They've hated each other for over 1,000 years... :D

the English hate the Welsh and Scottish; the Scottish and Welsh hate the English. The south hates the north, and the north hates the south.

Could it be perhaps similar to the Southerners (US) talking about the "San Fransico Liberals", or folks from L.A. N.Y. talking about "Texas Rednecks"? :confused:

Sure, very stable.
They've hated each other for over 1,000 years... :D

Could it be perhaps similar to the Southerners (US) talking about the "San Fransico Liberals", or folks from L.A. N.Y. talking about "Texas Rednecks"? :confused:

Oh, don't worry...they only speak of "Texas Rednecks" with a hushed and reverent awe. 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back