R-1820 Restoration

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

antrtic

Recruit
Sep 15, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, but have been reading posts for a while. I run the Aviation and Education Foundation in Albuquerque NM (a 501(c)(3) non-profit org). Our mission is to motivate kids and educators about aviation (piloting) and aviation maintenance. (I dont know if I can post our website address here, so please message me if you would like to see our website.)

We have been donated some R-1820 engines. Our goal is to get at least one running as well as make one a rotational cutaway. I have collected some manuals and information so far... I had a few basic questions:

1. There are so many variants of the R-1820, how can I get an idea of what parts will fit on our engines? We have been donated -86As. What variant parts should we be looking for that would fit?

2. Can I tell when these engines were produced by the serial number? (Is there a matrix or chart that shows that?)

3. We would really be interested in a propeller(s) for the engine(s)... hopefully, we could find a non-airworthy one someone could part with. If anyone would have any ideas or connections for us, please let me know.

4. We will also need to get some of the specialized tools and lifting eyes as well. Any ideas for those?

Thanks for any help, connections, ideas or information. We have already got a few jet engines operational, but we thought this opportunity would be great to help preserve some history as well. These engines are truly mechanical miracles.

Bill

(1) Contact the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) at the Smithsonian. Archives Research Request Expect to wait a month for a reply because they are woefully understaffed. The Technical Orders/Navaers/Navairs (manuals) you need so you can identify the interchangeable parts are underlined below. [EDIT Later revisions will include parts used on later model engines]

1568585437661.png

The -86A is a USN engine so I do not have a list of manuals for it but the NASM will be able to give you a detailed list of their holdings and the cost to copy each one.

(2) I know how to find the date of acceptance into the USAAF for engines attached to aircraft but not for navy ones. As a first I would again try the NASM and ask them also what make and model aircraft these engines were fitted to as well. If it was an AAF engine I could advise where to find the records for which exact aircraft each engine was originally fitted to but I have no idea for navy aircraft. The NASM can probably help on that one also

(3) For the prop contact your local prop shops and DC-3 operators and see what 23E50 props and parts are available. The 23E50 fits all Pratt and Wright engines with the shaft your engine has.

(4) tooling - have fun. NASM may have drawings and you can check the 1820 technical drawings in the National Archives of Australia. There is a link on one of the other forums on this site.

Last edited:
Are these engines canned and freshly overhauled with log books?

The Air Force Museum also has a good research department. They have previous helped me successfully.
Jager

Are these engines canned and freshly overhauled with log books?

The engines are in various states (All -86A variant), from 0 time, oil preserved in the steel canister, to various time (and parts removed) in wooden crates. No logbooks.

I am hoping to find 1-2 non-airworthy propellers that we could mount on them. I will have many parts (or whole engines) to trade.

This is purely an educational adventure. Getting the next generation of aviation mechanics some hands-on experience of researching, wrenching and learning.

Thanks for any help and ideas!

(1) Contact the National Air and Space Museum (NASM) at the Smithsonian. Archives Research Request Expect to wait a month for a reply because they are woefully understaffed. The Technical Orders/Navaers/Navairs (manuals) you need so you can identify the interchangeable parts are underlined below. [EDIT Later revisions will include parts used on later model engines]

View attachment 552507
The -86A is a USN engine so I do not have a list of manuals for it but the NASM will be able to give you a detailed list of their holdings and the cost to copy each one.

(2) I know how to find the date of acceptance into the USAAF for engines attached to aircraft but not for navy ones. As a first I would again try the NASM and ask them also what make and model aircraft these engines were fitted to as well. If it was an AAF engine I could advise where to find the records for which exact aircraft each engine was originally fitted to but I have no idea for navy aircraft. The NASM can probably help on that one also

(3) For the prop contact your local prop shops and DC-3 operators and see what 23E50 props and parts are available. The 23E50 fits all Pratt and Wright engines with the shaft your engine has.

(4) tooling - have fun. NASM may have drawings and you can check the 1820 technical drawings in the National Archives of Australia. There is a link on one of the other forums on this site.

This is a great idea! I have submitted to them already. I will see what they come up with. Thanks so much for the info and links.

Could anyone help me with which lifting eye to buy? I see a fair amount of them and most sellers are not specific about what all engines it will fit. Do the number of splines of the shaft matter? That seems to be how many are described. One part number that I have found is: 40B3923 or Heil 131.

Are there many different lifting eyes for these radials, or do most all fit all engines? Thanks.

Could anyone help me with which lifting eye to buy? I see a fair amount of them and most sellers are not specific about what all engines it will fit. Do the number of splines of the shaft matter? That seems to be how many are described. One part number that I have found is: 40B3923 or Heil 131.

Are there many different lifting eyes for these radials, or do most all fit all engines? Thanks.
A #50 lifting eye is what you need. Be careful, 1820s are heavy!

The engines are in various states (All -86A variant), from 0 time, oil preserved in the steel canister, to various time (and parts removed) in wooden crates. No logbooks.

I am hoping to find 1-2 non-airworthy propellers that we could mount on them. I will have many parts (or whole engines) to trade.

This is purely an educational adventure. Getting the next generation of aviation mechanics some hands-on experience of researching, wrenching and learning.

Thanks for any help and ideas!
Please don't use the canned engines for the cutaways! :eek:
If I remember correctly the -86A is a T-28 engine. This might be a good place to start:
Home - NATA

For your lifting eye, talk to
Blakey Engine Service
He's at an airport near me. I do not know him, but he had a good rep with the round engine owners on the field.

Good luck and have fun horse trading to get your kids started!

I, 2nd the no cutaway deal. Its a shame to ruin good airworthy parts for that. And to do a cutaway correctly is very costly and some good machines are needed to accomplish it. Then chrome plating if that is to be done $$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back