RAAF, october 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxs75

Airman 1st Class
May 2, 2005
Hi,
I'm tying to find the complete order of Battle at the time of the battle for Leyte Gulf.
AFAIK RAAF played only a marginal role in the battle, anyway RAAF units were fighting in New Guinea where the allied invasion fleet departed.
I'm looking for info about the squadrons bases in the second half of october 1944.

Until now I found the following:

Noemfoor:
many Kittyhawk squadrons. Can you confirm how many of them?
22 sqn. and 30 sqn. and some USAAF units.

Tadji/Aitape
8 and 100 sqn Beaufort

Merauke
120 NEI sqn.

Darwin:
5x RAF/RAAF Spitfire sqn.
31 sqn.
24 sqn.
2 sqn. (Mitchell) Can you confirm?
18 NEI sqn. (Mitchell)

What I have difficulty to find are the locations of Boomerang and Beaufort squadrons.
Boomerangs:
4 sqn. Madang? or Nadzab?
5 sqn. Mareeba ?
83 sqns. Location=??
85 sqn. (85 was converting to Spitfires, so probably was in Australia)

Beauforts:
14,15,32 sqn. in Australia
7 Higgins
8,100 Tadji
1 sqn. ???
6 sqn. ??

Thanks in advance

Max

RAAF units might also have been stationed in Morotai, Jefman and Saidor, Hollandia and Biak.

Dont forget that there also were RAAF and RNZAF units in the Solomons (Bougainville, Green Islands and Gasmata, perhaps the Trobidand islands and New Georgia.) and also in Manaus (Admiralties)

RAAF units might also have been stationed in Morotai, Jefman and Saidor, Hollandia and Biak.

Where is Jefman? Maybe I only know it with another name.

I didn't found any RAAF unit in Morotai, Biak or Hollandia, only USAAF.

In Manus there was 79 sqn with Spitfires, and USN Patrol squadrons (PBY, PV, SBD)

Bougainville: 17 and 22 RNZAF sqn. (F4U) and VMF/VMSB sqns.
Green and Emirau: VMF, VMSB and VMB with PBJ.

Max

Okay here we go:

1 sqn - Beauforts - Gould (Mar 1944-Jan 1945), Northern territory, Aus.
2 sqn - B-25's - Hughes (Apr 43-Aug45), NT, Aus.
3 sqn - ETO
4 sqn - Boomerang/P-40 - Port Moresby (Nov42-Apr45)
5 sqn - Boomerang - Marreba (Jun43-Nov44) Aus. Piva North, Bougainville (Nov44-Feb46).
6 sqn - Beaufort - Goodenough Is (Nov43-Feb45)
7 sqn - Beaufort - Tadji (Oct44-Dec45)
8 sqn - Beaufort - Tadji (Jun44-Jan45)
9 sqn -Walrus - Rathmines, Aus. (Jan40-Dec44)
10 sqn - ETO
11 sqn - Catalina - Rathmines, Aus. (Jul44-Jan46). 6 a/c from 11sqn together with 19 other Cats, staged through San Pedro Bay to mine Manila Harbour. With a round trip of 14 500Km, made this the longest RAAF Op of WWII.
12 sqn - B-24 - Strathpine, Aus (Jul44-Dec44)
13 sqn - Ventura - Gove (Aug44-Aug45)
14 sqn - Beaufort - Pearce, Aus (Feb39-Oct45)
15 sqn - Beaufort - camden,Aus 9May44-Apr45)
20 sqn - Catalina - Darwin (Oct44-Nov45)
21 sqn - B-24 - Leyburn (Jul44-Jan45)
22 sqn - Boston - Noemfoor (Aug44-Nov44)
23 sqn - B-24 - Leyburn (Oct44-Mar45)
24 sqn - B-24 - Fenton (sep44-Jul45)
25 sqn - Vengeance - Pearce (Jan39-Jan45)
30 sqn - Beaufighter - Noemfoor (Aug-Nov44)
31 sqn - Beaufighter - Coomalie Creek (Nov42-Dec44)
32 sqn - Beaufort - Lowood (May44-Nov45)
33 sqn - Dakota - Milne Bay (Jan44-Jan45)
34 sqn - Dakota - Parfield(Jan43-Feb45)
35 sqn - Dakota - Guildford (Aug44-Mar45)
36 sqn - Dakota - Garbutt (Feb44-Aug45)
37 sqn - Dakota - Essendon (Sep44-Jul45)
38 sqn - Dakota - Richmond (Sep43-Dec44)
40 sqn - Sunderland - Port Moresby (Jul44-Mar46)
41 sqn - Mariner - Cairns (Jun44-Sep45)
42 sqn - Catalina - Melville Bay (Jul44-Nov45)
43 sqn - Catalina - Darwin (Apr44-Nov45)
75 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor (Jul-Dec44)
76 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor (Sep44-Apr45)
77 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor (Sep44-Apr45)
78 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor ( Jun-Dec44)
79 sqn - Spitfire - Momote Is (Mar44-Jan45)
80 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor (Jul44-Jan45)
82 sqn - P-40 - Noemfoor (Aug44-Apr45)
83 sqn - Boomerang - Camden (Aug44-Feb45)
84 sqn - P-40 - Macrossan (Jun44-Nov44)
85 sqn - Spitfire - Guildford (Feb43-May45)
86 sqn - P-40 - Macrossan (Jun44-Jan45)
87 sqn - Mosquito - Coomalie Creek (Sep44-Oct45)
100 sqn - Beaufort - Tadji (Jun44-Jan46)
107 sqn - Kingfisher - St Georges Basin (Jul44-Oct45)

Note: These locations are only given where the Squadrons were based at the time of Oct44. The RAAF Operated out of Port Morseby, Milne Bay, Goodenough Is, Nadzab, Cape Gloucester, Tadji, Hollianda, Biak, Noenfoor, Moratai and Tarakan to name a few.

BTW a flight of RAAF Spitfires and Mosquitoes did fly up to the Phillipines, led by the great Clive Caldwell, in anticipation of been posted there. However due to decisions for High Command, Namely MacArthur, The RAAF were denied the chance to take an active part in the campaign. This led to the infamous near mutiny of the Senior pilots, many of whom were aces, but that is another story!

Wildcat,
great!
Thanks really much.

The bases that had no assigned squadrons were only staging airports or did they have some detatchments permanently assigned?

I read about that mutiny episode, and the fact that RAAF was kept in bypassed areas.

Max

I forgot two other squadrons. 452 (spitfires) was at Sattler before moving out to Moratai, and 457 (spitfires) were at Livingstone before shipping out to Moratai as well.
Sorry but what bases are you asking about? Most units moved North as the Japanese were driven back, but were stopped short at Moratai, and therefore played little part in any campaigns past the Phillipines. As with the Australian Army, the RAAF was relegated to "mopping up" by-passed Islands such as Borneo. It seems MacArthur didn't truely value the assests provided by both the Aussie Army and RAAF.
At Moratai there was a huge amount of RAAF aircraft and personell, with the following squadrons being based there, mainly from late '44 onwards - 1,4,13,22,24,30,31,75,76,77,78,79,80,82,452 and 457.
With this huge amount of aircraft at his disposal, I can't see why MacArthur didn't want to utilise them more.
BTW, why all the interest, are you doing research or something? If you need any more info I'll be glad to try and help out. :)

Note: These locations are only given where the Squadrons were based at the time of Oct44. The RAAF Operated out of Port Morseby, Milne Bay, Goodenough Is, Nadzab, Cape Gloucester, Tadji, Hollianda, Biak, Noenfoor, Moratai and Tarakan to name a few.

Sorry, my bad habit not to post the quoting. I was asking of the bases you listed above that had no sqns assigned (Hollandia, Biak etc.). Apart for Tarakan that was still in Japanes hands.

I forgot two other squadrons. 452 (spitfires) was at Sattler before moving out to Moratai, and 457 (spitfires) were at Livingstone before shipping out to Moratai as well.

Yes, around Darwin there were also 54, 548 and 549 RAF Spitfire squadrons (AFAIK the only RAF sqns in the area during WW2), five in total as in my first post.

At Moratai there was a huge amount of RAAF aircraft and personell, with the following squadrons being based there, mainly from late '44 onwards - 1,4,13,22,24,30,31,75,76,77,78,79,80,82,452 and 457.

Were some other B-24 squadrons deployed on Morotai? In your list I see only no. 24 sqn.
AFAIK 82 Wing (Bomb.) was composed by 21,23,24 (and maybe 25?) sqns.
And what about 13 sqn (PV)? Wasn't it based in Australia during late WW2?

BTW, why all the interest, are you doing research or something? If you need any more info I'll be glad to try and help out.

I'll see if I'll write something.
Thanks very much, I'll ask you many more questions.

Max

maxs75 said:
Sorry, my bad habit not to post the quoting. I was asking of the bases you listed above that had no sqns assigned (Hollandia, Biak etc.). Apart for Tarakan that was still in Japanes hands.

Bases such as Biak and Hollandia were only used by some RAAF squadrons for a very short time. 75,78 and 80 for example were only there for about a month. They moved on when there were no more worthwhile targets in the area, since, as we've discussed before, these areas were bypassed and most of the enemy cut off from their own forces. 78 squadron had some success at Hollandia however, when their P-40's engaged a force of 12 oscars and 3 Kates, claiming 9 enemy aircraft destroyed for the loss of 1 Kittyhawk and its pilot. This engagement turned out to be the last major air combat for the RAAF in the Pacific.

maxs75 said:
Yes, around Darwin there were also 54, 548 and 549 RAF Spitfire squadrons (AFAIK the only RAF sqns in the area during WW2), five in total as in my first post.
Correct, 54 squadron RAF played a major part in defending the North of Australia in 1943 from Japanese air attacks along with its fellow RAAF spitfire squadrons 452 and 457.

maxs75 said:
Were some other B-24 squadrons deployed on Morotai? In your list I see only no. 24 sqn.
AFAIK 82 Wing (Bomb.) was composed by 21,23,24 (and maybe 25?) sqns.
And what about 13 sqn (PV)? Wasn't it based in Australia during late WW2?
Correct 21, 23 and 24 sqdrns made up 82 wing. I did some more reading and infact 21 squadron did have a permanent detachment operating from Moratai to support the Tarakan invasion.
23 squadron, flying from Darwin, did use Moratai as a staging base to hit targets in Borneo. They then moved on to Balikpapan when it was taken.
25 squadron, based in Western Australia would stage through Darwin to strike at targets in the Dutch east Indies.
12 squadron was based at Darwin where they would attack shipping around Timor and in the Banda and Arafura Seas.
99 and 102 squadrons did what most of the RAAF B-24's ended up doing which was ferrying POWs and personell back from the Islands.
Also 200 and 201 Flights were used on covert and electronic surveillance missions.
As for 13 squadron flying Venturas, they flew strikes around Timor and the NEI's before moving to Moratai and then on to Labaun. After the war they were also used to bring back POW's and other personell.

maxs75 said:
I'll see if I'll write something.
Thanks very much, I'll ask you many more questions.

Well I'm glad I could be of some help! :)

Wildcat, thanks again.

I have a couple more questions.

1) B-24
I understand that Morotai was not a home base for any RAAF B-24 sqn, apart for no. 24 from july 1945.
Anyway during operations of Borneo landing (starting on 1st may 1945 at Tarakan IIRC) the squadrons of 82 Wing (21,23,24) used Morotai as a staging base or had dets there.
No.12 and 25 sqn. remained in Australia (12 in Darwin, and 25 (home base where?) used Darwin as staging base). I guess to substitute the 82 Wing bombers committed for the Borneo landings.
Is the above correct?

2) PV

As for 13 squadron flying Venturas, they flew strikes around Timor and the NEI's before moving to Moratai and then on to Labaun.
13 sqn - Ventura - Gove (Aug44-Aug45)

I understand that no. 13 sqn. had only dets in Labuan and Morotai, but the home base remained in Gove, NT.

Did the PV fly attack mission till the end of the war? I know that some of them (or probably the Air force version B-34) were used more as transports.

3) P-40

Bases such as Biak and Hollandia were only used by some RAAF squadrons for a very short time. 75, 78 and 80 for example were only there for about a month.

When did those squadron (75,78,80, were they already 78 Wing?) arrived in Hollandia? Just after the landings?

Thanks again for all you answers. I'll take two days off, so don't hurry! ;)

Max

And Wildcat, another question about october 1944:
how was the RAAF command organized at wing and group level in october 1944? I know that 9th and 10th Groups were in operation, but I dont know which sqns they had in control. And also I believe that the six Kittyhawk squadrons in Noemfoor were under two separate wings, and another one had control on the Boston and Beaufighter squadrons.

Thanks in advance

Max

Sorry for the late replay Max, I haven't been around for the last few days.

I couldn't answer all your questions because I haven't had the time too look it up, and I didn't want to give you info off the top of my head because it may not be totally correct. However, for a great source of info check out the official history of the RAAF at http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/chapter.asp?volume=27 This should contain all the info you need, very interesting read BTW.

Cheers:)

OK Wildcat, no problem.

Thank you for the very intersting link. I'll read it with interest. I checked that site some time ago, but I didn't find that. Thanks very much

Max

Max I've pieced together some of the wings that came under 10 group. Note 10 group was renamed the 1st Tactical Air Force (1TAF) in October 1944.

77(attack)Wing - 22sqn (A20's) and 30sqn (Beaufighters)

79 Wing - 2sqn and 18NEIAF both B25's

80(Fighter) Wing - 79, 452, 457sqn - Spitfires

81(Fighter) Wing - 76, 77, 82sqn - P40's

82(Bomber) Wing - 21, 23, 24sqn - B24's

Also 75, 78 and 80 sqn (P40's) apparently came under the control of No. 81 Wing.

85(Bomber) Wing - 12, 99sqn - B24's but I don't think these were part of 1TAF as they were Australian Based. 9 group perhaps?

This is only what I've been able to piece together as I don't have (and never seen) a full list of what squadron belongs where. I would like to find out about the Beauforts and a few other squadrons and where they fit in the scheme of things.
Anyway hope that info is of some help to you.

Thanks Wildcat,
Happy to hear You again.

I've read (probably from your link) that 75, 78 and 80 sqn (P40's) were under no. 78 Wing. But from what I've understand the organization was quite fluid, so it is entirely possible that they came later under no. 81 wing.

The no. 77 wing grouped 3 Beaufighter squadron, probably in 1945 (nos. 22 (its Bostons were destroyed on Morotai in nov. 1944 IIRC), 30 and 31).

I also think that 82 and 85 wings were not part of a "Tactical" air Force.

Max

maxs75 said:
Thanks Wildcat,
Happy to hear You again.

I've read (probably from your link) that 75, 78 and 80 sqn (P40's) were under no. 78 Wing. But from what I've understand the organization was quite fluid, so it is entirely possible that they came later under no. 81 wing.
Thanks that clears that up, however 75, 78 and 80sqn did came under 81 wing when they moved to noemfoor in 1944. I'm guessing it was only for a short time before changing back to 78 wing.

maxs75 said:
The no. 77 wing grouped 3 Beaufighter squadron, probably in 1945 (nos. 22 (its Bostons were destroyed on Morotai in nov. 1944 IIRC), 30 and 31).
I had a feeling 31 sqn would come under 77 wing but I couldn't find any info to back it up.
Your correct about the Bostons being detroyed at Morotai, it occured on the 22 of November. The raid damaged 13 aircraft of which only 2 were not judged beyond repair. The squadron re-epuipped with Beaufighters and were back at Morotai in Feb 45.
22 sqn Bostons were also the first RAAF aircraft to strike against the Philipines, hitting Bunawan Harbour on Mindanao, however this was on the same day the squadron was wiped out!
Also a RAAF Boston was the first RAAF aircraft to land in the Philipines, since being recaptured, on the 28th of December 1944.

maxs75 said:
I also think that 82 and 85 wings were not part of a "Tactical" air Force.
82 wing was part of 1TAF when at Morotai as part of the Borneo campaign, but as you said 85 wing wasn't.

Sorry,
I don't have any info about the Beaufort squadrons and Wings. Anyway, if 3 of them were based in Tadji (7,8,100) from mid. 1944, they possibly were under the same Wing.

I also never read that Beauforts were part of 1 TAF. It seems that 1 TAF was more a frontline organization, while the Beauforts were only in bypessed areas from late 1944. Do you know when the 10th Group was raised? And were there groups 1-8?

I've found info about no. 9th Group. It seems that grouped the RAAF squadrons under USAAF command. In april 1943 it comprised 7 sqns. in Pt. Moresby and Milne (75,77,6,100,4,22,30, respectively P-40, P-40, PBO, Bfort, Wirraway, A-20, Bfighter). It's from the link You provided.

Also, from that link, also USAAF squadrons are listed. The number of Dive bomber squadrons doesn't match with what I have. It's listed 5 Bomb. Sqn (Dive), but I know only 4 of them, part of 3d BG(D). They were nos. 8, 89, 13, 90, flying B-25 and A-20, despite their name of dive bomber sqn. Other numbers match perfectly instead.

Max

Wildcat said:
Max, do you know about the Beaufort squadrons and what wings they came under? I'm fairly certain they were not part of the 1TAF, but I could be wrong.
Cheers.

Wildcat,
I was reading that in may 1944, the 71 Wing (8 and 100 sqns) moved from Goodenough-Kiriwina to Nadzab, and there it came under control of 10 group.
In june they were again moved to Aitape/Tadji, to counter the japanese offensive from Wewak, along with 30 sqn. and 110 TRS USAAF with P-39.
Possibly this was the reason why the 71 W didn't reach Noemfoor as planned, while the 78 and 77 Wings did in july-august 944.

Earlier, in march 1944, the 1 and 2 sqns B'forts were part of 79 W in Darwin area, with 18 NEIAF (B-25) and 31 RAAF (B'fighter). Anyway no. 2 sqn soon re-equipped with B-25.

HTH

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

Back