Radial engine cooling (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

John Gnipper

Recruit
Jun 14, 2008
Hello, Folks I have a question- If a person was going to use a radial engine for non-aircraft use does anyone make a cooling fan to install in place of the propeller? Thanks, John

i'm dying to know what you are planning to do with this engine!

I think if you simply had it running outside somewhere for the simple pleasure of hearing a radial at work, it shouldn't overheat.
Really depends on what use you have in mind for this engine.

A prop/fan always adds to the effect anyway!

Do not run any aircraft engine on methanol, will eat many internal seals, gaskets etc.......

The engines on test stands were run with a dummy prop mostly to load the engine and prevent over revving. Many radials are tolerant of high MP but not over RPM.

Good Luck!

You need a testbed prop, as advised above. Some form of ring cowls and cylinder baffles are vital to maintain proper cooling or you're going to have problems in the future. You'll also need the following minimum instrumentation as well as an oil cooler and exhaust collector ring:
Tacho,
Manifold Pressure,
Oil Pressure,
Oil Temperature,
Cylinder Head Temperature.

Note - overboosting (excessive manifold pressure) will ruin your engine if it's supercharged. You really need to understand the principles of blown aero-engine operation before you run at more than low power.

The only two applications I can think of that doesn't involve a propeller cooling the engine was as an engine for a tank (the M2/3/4 series of early-WWII American tanks), and the H-19 helicopter (see below). In both cases, I believe an auxiliary fan with ducting was used to blow air over the cylinders when the engine was operating.

H19_showing_engine.jpg

There are many that run radial aircraft engines with cropped off propellers. Just keep an eye on cylinder head temperatures.

Sherman tanks, didnt they have aircooled radial engines.And some MTB??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back