Radiator weight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Benjdragon

Airman
Sep 18, 2015
What is the weight of a radiator for a liquid cooled engine like on a P-51 or P-39? How much coolant did it hold and how much did the coolant weigh?

The empty weight of a Harrison P-51D radiator is 246.5 pounds. I have changed many of them. The total coolant capacity of the P-51D is about 26 gallons between main and after coolant systems. A figure of nine pounds per gallon is normally used.
Hello. It looks like you are the right person to talk about the P51. I am struggling to find the weight of the coolant pump. Do you have this information? Or maybe from another similar liquid cooled engine aircraft.

The P-39 Design Analysis I posted on this website (search for Design Analysis, not P-39) says:

The entire cooling system weighs 322 lb. This is includes the radiator and shutters at 156 lb, expansion tank at 17 lb, and the cooling liquid itself at 149 lb.
Hello. I am struggling to get the weight information of the coolant pump. Do you have this information? Or maybe for another similar liquid cooled engine aircraft?

The P-40N changed to aluminum radiators to save weight. Don't have a weight figure but picking one up isn't a problem; each aircraft had two radiators and an oil cooler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back