RAF "A" and "B" pattern Spitfire Camo?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi guys!

I'm a bit confused! I was reading that the RAF used two different camouflage schemes on its Spitfire mk 1s-an "A" and a "B" pattern. The one basically looks like a mirror image of the other! I also read that they applied the one pattern to all even numbered airframes and the other to odd numbered ones.

Would anyone be able to post confirmation of this? Also, in the different sources I have, there seems to be great confusion as to which exactly was the actual "A" and which was the "B" scheme! So clarification would be really appreciated!

Thanks as always chaps!

The "A" was applied to even numbered aircraft and later in the war the "B" pattern was discontinued. Not sure of the date when this came into effect but this was to try and improve production time.

Geo

Thanks! that makes sense. Does anyone have a definitive picture of what the actual "A" pattern was?

According to rules introduced on 12th October 1937 aircraft of the Fighter Command were painted with a camo scheme consisted of Dark Green and Dark Earth-Brown colours at top and sides. The layout of camo spots depended on a category of aircraft ( single-engine/twin-engine, single-seater/two-seater , monoplane/biplane etc...) For single-engined,single seater,monoplane figthers there were two camo patterns called A and B. The B one was a mirror image of the A pattern. It was accepted at assembling lines that the A pattern was for aircraft of odd serials and the B one for those of even ones. The way of painting fighter planes was affirmed by the Air Ministry order No.154/39 with a supplement no.A.298/39 issued on 27th April 1939. These rules for using of the A and B patterns were used inconsistently by different aircraft manufacturers and got the final form on 15th August 1941 when the Dark Earth-Brown colour was replaced with the Ocean Grey for the A pattern that became the unified layout of camo spots.

The A pattern....

61729.jpg

146601.jpg

146602.jpg

I was just thinking...it is a bit random that the RAF had two identical but mirror image camouflage schemes! Was there ANY reasoning at all for them to do this? I can't imagine what the benefit of two camo. patterns would be?

It's worth noting that whilst generally even serialed Spitfires carried the A pattern and odd the B this was reversed for Hurricanes. There are exceptions in both cases.
There was no order to adopt the A pattern,manufacturers were told to stick to one scheme and most chose the A pattern.
Cheers
Steve

I was just thinking...it is a bit random that the RAF had two identical but mirror image camouflage schemes! Was there ANY reasoning at all for them to do this? I can't imagine what the benefit of two camo. patterns would be?

I think it was an attempt to find the best layout for the opertional area the RAF had to struggle over. The same you can notice if you check on the Luftwaffe camo schemes. Also it might have been the way for an psychological attack that could force enemy pilots to think there was more of RAF pilots than it was actually.

Interesting! Yes, I think if one saw two aircraft flying next to each other wearing mirror image camouflage, it could really be confusing for a few seconds...enough time to maybe fly straight and level and get shot at!

The camouflage had nothing to do with the aircraft in flight; it was solely to break up the shape, when on the ground (propellers were painted black for the same reason.) The variation in the patterns was to avoid the possibility of a regimented appearance, if the aircraft were lined up next to each other. Once it was realised that aircraft should be further dispersed, even having their own individual pens, the different patterns became unnecessary, and were discontinued 26-4-41, before Ocean Grey replaced the Dark Earth.

Only 100 MkVI were built. They were finished in the normal day fighter scheme. I don't remember seeing a colour image but someone might know of one.

They looked pretty much like a Mk V apart from the extended wing tips,four bladed propeller,pressurised cabin and an associated intake duct on the starboard side for the blower which provided that pressure (below the exhausts). The early versions had a canopy that was clamped on and could not be opened in flight,later versions had a Labelle sliding canopy which could be whilst still maintaining a seal when closed.

The pressurisation was only +2lb. Flying at 37,000 feet this gave a cabin pressure equivalent to 28,000 feet so you'd still need an oxygen mask!

Cheers

Steve

One other thing--if all the planes had the same camo, then you just needed to train your eyes to SEE the camo--the plae would be there. The French had carried itt a bit further; the planes came in an overall dark blue-gray color; the other olors were to be applied at the squadron level, to their taste--in general, no two French planes looked alike....

And, no, the 'Sand and Spinach' color scheme was NOT just to break up the outline of the plane on the ground--it was designed to blend with the English--and French--countryside from under 25,000 feet. The switch to Ocean Grey optimised for over that altitude; many pilots doing ground attack were unhappy. Later (late '44 or '45) the LW adopted a scheme almost identical to the early Temperate Land Scheme, down to the Sky undersurfaces

The Luftwaffe had used Hellblau (RLM 65) for the undersides of their aircraft until the Sammelmitteilung Nr.2 in August of '44 discontinued Hellblau in exchange for Weisseblau (RLM 76).
The cobalt needed for Hellblau was desperately needed elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back