RAF Ascension Islands (St Helena) HAR.3 Sea King?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Can you turn a 1/48 Hasegawa SH-3H into one, what do you need?

Har.3 Sea King.jpg

Most probably, although I haven't looked closely at the Hasegawa kits - mainly due to the fact that they're over-priced. Not sure if they still have it currently available, but they used to do a RAF SAR version which, from memory, was even more expensive than their other versions - must be due to the black 'Rescue' decals being so expensive to design and print !
I wonder what colour they are now, or will be this year, when the SAR function is taken over by a civilian contractor (not sure, but I think it might be Bristow's) ?

Nice find Joe. That's the earlier configuration, before the fitting of the larger air intake filters which, from memory, were added after a serious FOD incident some years back, along with other mods and up-dates.
Here's a couple of pics taken at Duxford in September 2013, showing the current appearance. The chopper had arrived and positioned for a display later in the day, then was called out on a 'shout' and had to make a rapid departure, whilst the 'Flight Line Walk' was still open, hence the people in the second shot.

Attachments

• Duxford show Sept 13 306.jpg
    Duxford show Sept 13 306.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 244
  • Duxford show Sept 13 458.jpg
    Duxford show Sept 13 458.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 193
Much obliged for the replies gentlemen....
The reason why I'm asking, is that I found this one on Amazon.co.uk...

41JvNIZEYML._SY400__zpstmqpywvo.jpg

But, I'm NOT paying almost £80 for it, including shipping....

I would never pay the £30.40 for something I can make from scratch myself. That's a robbery.

I actually new a girl from St. Helena - very pleasant lass, just a shame about her moustache ...............
Didn't know the RAF had a SAR flight there though.

Neither did I old bean, that's why I'd like one from there....it's not really a place that you frequently see advertised for holidays etc, etc....it's kinda off the beaten track!

Are you sure it was St. Helena, and not Ascension Island ? The latter was used as the staging post for RAF transports and tankers during the Falklands war, so a SAR capability would have been required. At that period, the larger intake filters weren't in service, so the aircraft would look more like the profile and the model Joe posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back