RAF B-25's?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Hi guys,

My dad said a friend at work gave him the Revell 1/48 B-25 kit for some reason. So I'm toying with the Idea of making it an RAF bird.

Question(s) are:

What units in the RAF had a B-25?

Where can I find decals?

Hi guys,

My dad said a friend at work gave him the Revell 1/48 B-25 kit for some reason. So I'm toying with the Idea of making it an RAF bird.

Question(s) are:

What units in the RAF had a B-25?

Where can I find decals?

Royal Air Force received more than 900 aircraft.
No. 98 Squadron RAF
No. 180 Squadron RAF
No. 226 Squadron RAF
No. 342 Squadron RAF
No. 681 Squadron RAF
No. 684 Squadron RAF

With that information you can at least narrow down a google search. :)

If it's the B25J, then this was known as the Mitchell III in RAF service - got one myself I'm going to do for 98 Sqn. - was going to put it in the Heavy hitters GB, but didn't have time.
The Mitchell III only reached Squadrons around September 1944, and then only three of the Squadrons I believe (need to check), including the Dutch RAF Sqn.
You'd need RAF 'C' type and 'B' Type roundels, Dull Red code letters, and black serial numbers, all available as separate sheets from various mfgs, including Xtradecal.
Colour scheme was Olive Drab uppersurfaces, and Neutral Ggrey, or Medium Sea Grey lower surfaces. When you need details, let me know. The RAF Mitchell is one of my 'pets' - did a magazine article on them twenty plus years ago.
I've got all the squadron info and code details, and some example serial numbers etc.

You could use the 226 Sqn decals (MQ code letters), and would just need to get some serials in the KJ range, example KJ561, coded MQ-Y.
305 Squadron (Polish) didn't use the Mitchell III (B25J), having changed from Mitchell IIs to Mosquitos in November 1943, operational in December '43.

305 Squadron could only find enough personnel to form one flight of B-25s. They only flew a handful of operations before it was decided to replace them with Mosquito FBiVs as they only required a crew of two.

The B-25s were nicknamed Cadillacs as they were considered luxurious. Should be able to see them here I hope.

305-B25 - alachetta - Pixum online photo album

Nicked a few pics H, including from the book, "British Warplanes of WWII" by Daniel J. March. The last pic has nothing to do with RAF B-25s - it just looked cool and I had to add it! :)

Attachments

• img252.jpg
    img252.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 1,839
  • img253.jpg
    img253.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 903
  • b25-1.jpg
    b25-1.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2,075
  • B25allmachinegunsfiringfrontally.jpg
    B25allmachinegunsfiringfrontally.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 999
Great stuff Chris. I have some of those pics as original prints (and others), obtained about 23 years ago from the IWM for use in an article.
Note that on RAF Mitchell III's (B25J), the 'package' guns on the sides of the forward fuselage were normally removed.
In the colour profiles, the first one of the 226 Sqn MkII is in the wrong scheme, which has perpetuated for many years! The Dark Earth/ Dark Green scheme was only applied to those first aircraft sent to the Bahamas, and a small batch retained in Canada for training use, one of which, until last August based at Duxford, now in the USA, is still flying! That scheme was based on a paricular B&W photo, which appears to show disruptive camouflage, when in fact it is the effect of the light. The colour on upper surfaces should be overall Olive Drab, or Dark Green (equivalent colour, applied to second batch of aircraft by NAA).
The second profile, showing the (Dutch Naval) 320 sqn is correct, but the code letters should be Dull Red. These profiles date from the early 1970's IIRC.

305 Squadron could only find enough personnel to form one flight of B-25s. They only flew a handful of operations before it was decided to replace them with Mosquito FBiVs as they only required a crew of two.

This situation was caused by heavy losses of the flying personnel.In order to make the matter better 305 Bomber Squadron was moved From the Bomber Command to the 2nd TAF , the Swanton Morley airfield , where the unit was equipped with B-25 Mitchell II and used them from September the 5th 1943 untill December 1943 when got Mosquito FB VI.
Here a few codes and serials of used Mitchell II B-25C: FL182 -P, FL192 -L, FL201 -B, FL686 -O, FL691 -A; B-25D: FV911 -S, FV913 -C, FV923 -E, FV937 -K, FV941 -D, FV948 -Q, FV976 -R

Using Mitchells the 305th Squadron took parts in Ramrod operations against V-1 launchers.

The transfer of 305 Squadron to 2nd TAF and change to Mitchell II bombers was effected with its move from Ingham to Swanton Morley on 5th September 1943. The first flight was made on 9th September using FV937. During the month practice circuits and landings with instructors and first solos were made. In October formation flying, stalling tests, and single-engine flying were performed. On the 4th FV911 was involved in an accident while attempting to force-land. In total 13 Mitchells were taken on charge.

Operations began on 5th November with four aircraft taking part on a raid on a V1 site at Mimoyecques. Three Mitchells repeated the attack on the same site three days later. The forth reserve aircraft was not needed and returned to base. On the 10th coastal fortifications of the Atlantic Wall in the Pas de Calais were bombed by three Mitchells in conjunction with 226 Squadron. The operation had little effectiveness due to dense cloud and the attack was repeated the next day. On 14th, during formation flying practice, FV941 went into a steep banking turn, turn over and spun into the ground at Colkirk. All the crew were killed. Three days later FL182, caught by a sudden storm, was damaged on landing.

On 18th November 305 Squadron moved to Lasham with nine serviceable Mitchells. The last operation on Michells, and only one from Lasham, took place on 26th November when two crews took part on an attack on a V1 site at Martinvast. In the four-week period only 15 sorties counted as operational were made on Mitchells. On 3rd December 305 squadron received instructions to cease flying Michells and to begin immediate conversion to to the Mosquito. On 4th December the squadron began ground training of personnel in the handling and maintenance of the Mosquito. on the 15th it was incorporated into 138 Wing. The squadron became operational on Mosquitoes on 25th February 1944.

Yep I agree. A good post Antoni.

Great info Wojtek, especially the codes/serials. This squadron's use of Mitchells gets very little coverage normally.

You'r welcome Pal. Here some more info.

The first operation was Ramrod 292. The last one was the Ramrod381. And there is a difference between my info and posted by Antoni. The last operations was taken on 21st December 1943 when two B-25s of 305 Squadron participated in attacking of V-1 launchers near Puchervin. ALso my source says Mitchells stayed with 305 Squadron untill 15th January 1944.

The crash of the SM-D FV941 occured near Fakenham ( Norfolkshire). The low altitude ( 1500ft) of the filght didn't let the crew use parachutes. The crew members were H.Anglik, W.Fuchs, M.Andruszkow, J.Twardowski.

Another air accident took place on 30th August 1943.Due to the failure of engines the SM-L FV911 made an emergency landing near Little Snoring .The machine got quite serious damages and the crew was wounded.. The crew members - Z.Stępień, J.Lemieszonek, J.Witek and B.Bruliński.

Last edited:
Another air accident took place on 30th August 1943.Due to the failure of engines the SM-L FV911 made an emergency landing near Little Snoring .The machine got quite serious damages and the crew was wounded.. The crew members - Z.Stępień, J.Lemieszonek, J.Witek and B.Bruliński.

As 305 Squadron did not receive Mitchells until September 1943 common sense says this cannot be the correct date which is 4th October 1943. FV911 was coded SM-S. SM-L was FL192. There is a photograph of its recovery at Little Snoring.

The first operation was Ramrod 292. The last one was the Ramrod381. And there is a difference between my info and posted by Antoni. The last operations was taken on 21st December 1943 when two B-25s of 305 Squadron participated in attacking of V-1 launchers near Puchervin. ALso my source says Mitchells stayed with 305 Squadron untill 15th January 1944.

In The Polish Air Force at War The Official History, Cynk states the last Mitchell operation took place 26th November 1943. He includes the following footnote (no 58):

"All the above details of Mitchell operations by no. 305 Squadron come from RAF Form 540 (IPMS, Lot.A V, 37/11). Information in various Polish publications which quote higher number of sorties and suggest that the squadron flew Mitchells until January 1944, are misleading."

Also Lechosław Musiałkowski Mini Replika 50 Samoloty Dywizjonu 305:

"Ostatni lot bojowy polkich Michelli miał miejsce 26 listopada 1943 roku. Formalny zakaz dalszych lotów na Mitchellach Dywizjon 305. otrzymał 3 grudnia, a już 4 grudnia rozpoczęto szkolenie personelu w obsłudze samolotów Mosquito."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back