RAF Cockpit Light 5C-366 voltage and light bulb type?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

VintageIron

Airman
Aug 10, 2020
Hello and thanks for taking time to read this.
Can anyone tell me what the voltage was and what light bulb was used in the WW2 RAF Cockpit Light 5C-366?

Thank you

Bulb will be dependent on what it's installed in. Those were in Spits, Lancs and lots of other multi engine aircraft. The big thing is find the correct base number and wattage and then find the correct one for the voltage you select.

Bulb will be dependent on what it's installed in. Those were in Spits, Lancs and lots of other multi engine aircraft. The big thing is find the correct base number and wattage and then find the correct one for the voltage you select.
Thank you for replying, I will see if I can find any leads on the base type, it's bayonet style.

Just be aware that there are dozens of different bayonet configurations and diameters. I would think that an IPC for one of the aircraft would have the bulb callout.

Good luck finding an IPC for a British-built WW2 aircraft. The closest you will get will be the Schedule of Spare Parts, typically Volume 3, Part 1 of the relevant Air Publication. or if it was built overseas, like a Canadian Lanc, there may be an IPC produced by the builder. I'll take a look through my partial copy of the latter to see if I can find the part when I get a couple of hours.

EDIT: My Lancaster IPC is an RCAF document for the Mk X dated 1954. There is no 5C/366 in it. At any rate, the cockpit lights that are in there typically do not have separate bulb numbers. See example:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Good luck finding an IPC for a British-built WW2 aircraft. The closest you will get will be the Schedule of Spare Parts, typically Volume 3, Part 1 of the relevant Air Publication. or if it was built overseas, like a Canadian Lanc, there may be an IPC produced by the builder. I'll take a look through my partial copy of the latter to see if I can find the part when I get a couple of hours.

EDIT: My Lancaster IPC is an RCAF document for the Mk X dated 1954. There is no 5C/366 in it. At any rate, the cockpit lights that are in there typically do not have separate bulb numbers. See example:

View attachment 621268

Thanks all for your time taken to respond to my thread, it has been educational. I will post what I have found and any updates. First, it is a bayonet style two contact fixture, the bayonet lugs are 180 degrees apart, and at the same height, second, I measured the socket of the lamp at .610", or, 15.5 mm roughly, it's my guess that the bulb is a 15mm bulb, two contact bayonet style bulb, I'm going to try and source a BA15D bulb of 12 volts, see if it fits, and if it does, connect the lamp to my 12volt power tool battery and see if it lights up.

This, from the Mosquito P.R. 35 schedule of spare parts. Once again, no 5C/366 found but this time it shows the lamp bulb and a 24V supply. There are several other small lamps with lower voltages so those must be stepped down from the main 24V system.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you all for your reply's to this thread. I found that a 1004 series, 12 volt light bulb both fit's and lights up when 12 volts are applied to the leads on the cockpit lamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back