RAF Colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Ok, I recently purchased a Hawker Typhoon for the D-Day/ Invasion Stripes GB. This will be my first ever RAF aircraft. Now I've been burned in the past by following the directions that come with a model so to avoid any embarrassing moments. What are the standard colors for RAF aircraft when it comes to interiors, wheel wells, engine compartments and or any other things I should know?

The Typhoon departed slightly from 'standard' regarding the interior colours etc. For the period you will be modelling, the cockpit was predominantly black, so a very dark grey will do it for scale appearance. The tubular framework in the lower cockpit, and the heel boards, were painted either silver of cockpit grey green, although the latter were often black, scuffed, with the bare metal showing through. The pilot's seat was again silver, although sometimes grey green, and the armour plate, front and rear, was black. Seat harness at this period was buff colour. The seat (back) cushion, if fitted, was a light, sage green.
Wheel wells and the insides of the landing gear doors were 'Aluminium', a silver painted finish, wheel hubs were natural (alloy) metal, a dull silver colour.
Although the engine bay can't be seen, unless you do a major scratch-building exercise, the inside of the 'chin' radiator housing, front and back, was silver, with the radiator matrix dull grey metal, and the centrally mounted oil cooler intake etc with a dull silver-grey surround.
Prop blades were semi-matt black, with 4 inch yellow tips.
Camoflage colours were Dark Green and Ocean Grey (or Dark Sea Grey) upper surfaces, and Medium Sea Grey undersides. Yellow ID stripes to the wing leading edges, and an 18 inch Sky band on the tail. Aircraft in 2 TAF were supposed to have black spinners, but examples of Sky spinners were still known - check references for specific aircraft.
Code letters were Sky, serial numbers black.
From the eveing of June 5th 1944, the 18 inch wide black and white AEAF stripes were applied in the 'standard' positions, the underwing and fuselage top and side stripes being removed by early July in most cases.
Phew! This is the third time I've done this for someone!

The Typhoon departed slightly from 'standard' regarding the interior colours etc. For the period you will be modelling, the cockpit was predominantly black, so a very dark grey will do it for scale appearance. The tubular framework in the lower cockpit, and the heel boards, were painted either silver of cockpit grey green, although the latter were often black, scuffed, with the bare metal showing through. The pilot's seat was again silver, although sometimes grey green, and the armour plate, front and rear, was black. Seat harness at this period was buff colour. The seat (back) cushion, if fitted, was a light, sage green.
Wheel wells and the insides of the landing gear doors were 'Aluminium', a silver painted finish, wheel hubs were natural (alloy) metal, a dull silver colour.
Although the engine bay can't be seen, unless you do a major scratch-building exercise, the inside of the 'chin' radiator housing, front and back, was silver, with the radiator matrix dull grey metal, and the centrally mounted oil cooler intake etc with a dull silver-grey surround.
Prop blades were semi-matt black, with 4 inch yellow tips.
Camoflage colours were Dark Green and Ocean Grey (or Dark Sea Grey) upper surfaces, and Medium Sea Grey undersides. Yellow ID stripes to the wing leading edges, and an 18 inch Sky band on the tail. Aircraft in 2 TAF were supposed to have black spinners, but examples of Sky spinners were still known - check references for specific aircraft.
Code letters were Sky, serial numbers black.
From the eveing of June 5th 1944, the 18 inch wide black and white AEAF stripes were applied in the 'standard' positions, the underwing and fuselage top and side stripes being removed by early July in most cases.
Phew! This is the third time I've done this for someone!

Thanks T. You should have just posted the link. :lol: How about this. Do you know of any sites that reference this kind of stuff? You know for future reference on other aircraft?

Just thought Wojtek - it is four times for the Typhoon, if my 56 Sqn Tempest build is included!
Dirk, I'm not sure, but the IPMS Sweden web-site might have some info. I'd be wary of this though, as I've found some info incorrect in parts, possibly based on a single example, or older research, extending any errors. I'm afraid my info is all logged in my head, accumulated over the years, by research, and more often from personal experience and/ or info provided by WW2 aircrew etc.
I've actually been thinking of producing a (very) basic guide to RAF aircraft interior/detail colours, and possibly others, as I'm frequently asked similar questions. I'll probably get around to it someday, in between other projects!!

Just thought Wojtek - it is four times for the Typhoon, if my 56 Sqn Tempest build is included!
Dirk, I'm not sure, but the IPMS Sweden web-site might have some info. I'd be wary of this though, as I've found some info incorrect in parts, possibly based on a single example, or older research, extending any errors. I'm afraid my info is all logged in my head, accumulated over the years, by research, and more often from personal experience and/ or info provided by WW2 aircrew etc.
I've actually been thinking of producing a (very) basic guide to RAF aircraft interior/detail colours, and possibly others, as I'm frequently asked similar questions. I'll probably get around to it someday, in between other projects!!

You are the Man! Thanks again.

Where is your tempest build posted?

Thanks H, I still don't know how to do that! New fangled computer things - bah, humbug!
DB, I'll probably post something in there when / if I get the whole 'guide' done - that's if Planet Earth still exists by then!!!

That's great, thanks H. Now, all I have to do is learn how to copy and paste! Being from a Graphics and photography background, that means using a knife, tape, glue etc, and sticking things together to make a page..........!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back