RAF Cosford air show, June 9th

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Any UK members going to this air show at the RAF Museum, Cosford?
I'll be going with my mate Mick, and meeting up with Karl (rochie).
Gates open at 10.00 on the Sunday morning, and confirmed 'acts' are the Vulcan, the BBMF Lanc, Spit etc, B-17 'Sally B' and of course the Scampton Darts Team (aka The Red Arrows), as well as other noisy modern stuff. The BBMF will also be on view on the ground, as well as a couple of Jaguar GR3s, which will probably do some taxiing.
The entrance fee includes access to the RAF Museum displays, and are a touch cheaper if ordered on -line.
Just hoping the rain takes a holiday for a few hours at least!

Looking forward to it - and my first air show on the 'public side' for many years (more used to being 'air side.).
Just ordered spare batteries for both cameras, checked all the kit, and practicing the 'Sun Dance', in the hope it works and brings a dry, and hopefully sunny day!
Oh, and I've decided to pay the 'donation' fee, and reserve a 'Dalek' to help get around the field - no one will be safe with me around on an electric scooter!
Seek, Locate, Destroy!!

Not a 'major' air show by, for example, Duxford standards, and in fact the 'acts' and the static displays are fairly limited. Not much in the way of 'war birds', compared, again, to Duxford, but if all goes to plan, the following should be flying, with those marked (*) also being on display on the ground.

Avro Vulcan.
BBMF Lanc, Spit and Hurricane (*)
B-17G 'Sally B' (*)
The Red Arrows
Eurofighter Typhoon
The Blades (*) (ex Red Arrows pilots in 'Extras' [I think] doing formation aerobatics).
Some helicopter stuff and others.
Sepecat Jaguars on static display, and also taxiing - hopefully.

It'll be worth it just to see the Vulcan display - and to get some detail shots of the Jaguars.

I would turn up just for the Vulcan to be honest !

April has already said I could borrow her camera as it is better than mine !

Cheeky litlle ******* !

I'm keeping my fingers straight (they're normally crossed due to arthritis!) that I actually get some good pics!
I haven't quite got to grips with all the controls on the recently purchased Nikon DSLR and lenses - lots of fiddly stuff, when I'm more used to traditional, nicely engineered Olympus 35mm SLRs and lenses. Nothing wrong with the Nikon of course, but ergonomically, for me, it's a bit clumsy, and the lay out of the controls even if I was wholly familiar with them, is not particularly conducive to rapid selection.
No doubt I'll find out on June 9th - and I've always got the Fuji 'bridge camera' as a back-up.

One suggestion, Terry, before the show starts, try the camera for the right white balance. It'll help you to get the nice colours you want. I usually only play with the shutter times to get some prop blurr and use the servo to keep things sharp. Make lots of pictures, most will be crap, but you'll get some nice ones in between. For instance, at Oostwold I made 800 pictures. About 40 were publishable. The rest was either the same or just plain crap.

Yep, I'll be doing that Marcel. I'll be experimenting with shutter speed and aperture - mainly the latter, to cope with aircraft against a (hopefully!) bright sky, but I'll also try some on full auto. I've never really been a fan of auto, but having had a 'play' with the camera at Manchester airport, it seems to cope reasonably well.
And as for taking lots of shots - I always do (and did, even with film cameras).
If just one shot in a sequence is usable, I'm happy, and with digital, there's no problem running out of film, or having the expense of processing loads of film! (OK, once upon a time it didn't cost me anything to have them processed, but it was still a pain!). In the days when I used to produce twin, or multi-projector AV shows, to obtain the average 160 transparencies required normally entailed making around 400 or more exposures.
Of course, I'll get used to the camera the more I use it, but if I was to have one criticism, it would be that too much information is displayed, spread around different parts of the screen (or viewfinder), much of which is not needed. But once I become accustomed to what's what, and how to switch between the various modes and options, it should become second nature - I hope. At the moment, I'm still wanting to change aperture, for example, on the lens barrel, when everything is selected by the various menu buttons., but, with practice, and use, this should come naturally eventually.

Hope so mate - and don't forget April (Karl's daughter), and her new, all singing, all dancing, coffee making, donut cooking camera !

Had it all planned, plane flights. trains, Wolverhampton accommodation, the grand meet-up......................and the bl**dy Lotto didn't come in.

Have a great day guys and I hope for a changer you get some real nice Aussie type weather.

:lol:

Hope yas have beautiful sunshine for the day... (...so the crowds will disperse from around the Lincoln and Terry can get me nice clear shots! :) )
Seriously though, have a great one guys, wish I could join yas!

Good news Evan - I found out that the museum itself is remaining open until 18.30 hrs and, as we'll be in no rush to leave to join the traffic jams, I should have plenty of time to get you some Lincoln shots!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back