RAF Interior Color? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, guys,
Ok, in several paint charts and conversion charts, I am finding 2 interior colors:
1) British Interior Grey Green FS34226
2) RAF interior Green FS24172

Which is more appropriate for WWII? Or, are they both good for WWII, just during different periods of the war?
Dale

Britain didn't use FS numbers, so there could be a bit of confusion here, although I suspect they are both basically the same colour.
The 'Grey Green' is a better description, and the Humbrol paint number is #78, which may allow you to find an equivalent. This is more or less the actual, full-scale colour and, depending on the scale of the model being painted, needs to be lightened very slightly with a touch of white.
Here's what it should look like, on the area behind the seat in a Spitfire.

Attachments

• Spit oxy bottles.jpg
    Spit oxy bottles.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 5,161
I agree with Terry that the HU.78 is a good equivalent for the colour. Basicly it can be said to be the FS34226 paint. As far as the FS24127 is concerned... it is a little bit too dark and greenish than the RAF interior green was. It should be pale and more greyish in tinge. Below both samples....

fs34226.jpg
fs24172.jpg

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for the help. I am trying to figure out what Xtracolor paints to order. I am very light on RAF colors, so I thought I would start there and, if I liked em, I would slowly replace my Testor's Model Masters. Although, the MMs are nice. The '51 I just finished was done with MMs.
Later,
Dale

Ah, simple answer then!
Xtracolor have a limited number of matt paints, specifically for those areas such as cockpits and interiors, where it's unlikely that decals will be used. As far as I remember without looking at their lists, they do the RAF/British Cockpit Grey Green. If not, then using the photo I posted as a reference, the colour can easily be mixed using, for example RAF Dark Green, white, and a touch of any grey, until it looks 'right'.

According to my references the RAF Cockpit Green FS34226 is the Xtracolor X010 BS238 Aircraft Grey Green.

X010.jpg

That is one of the shades I ordered. It will be about 2-3 weeks before they ship from my source here in the US (Roll Models). I guess Roll orders them from the UK then ship em to me. That is fine, I am working on the Dora right now with a Spit about 2 down in the stack.
Dale

Britain didn't use FS numbers, so there could be a bit of confusion here, although I suspect they are both basically the same colour.
The 'Grey Green' is a better description, and the Humbrol paint number is #78, which may allow you to find an equivalent. This is more or less the actual, full-scale colour and, depending on the scale of the model being painted, needs to be lightened very slightly with a touch of white.
Here's what it should look like, on the area behind the seat in a Spitfire.

I agree with Terry that the HU.78 is a good equivalent for the colour. Basicly it can be said to be the FS34226 paint. As far as the FS24127 is concerned... it is a little bit too dark and greenish than the RAF interior green was. It should be pale and more greyish in tinge. Below both samples....

View attachment 226249 View attachment 226250

It may have already been mentioned somewhere........

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back