RAF Museum, Cosford, photo requests.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Seeing Glenn's post about his visit to Dayton has reminded me. I'm hoping to visit the 'other' RAF Museum at Cosford, UK, within the next couple of weeks. For those who don't know, they have a large collection of prototypes, as well as modern and WW2 aircraft, including some rare beauties like the Me410.
If anyone wants or needs detail photos of particular aircraft, let me know what's required, and I'll do my best to get the required shots.

Terry, if they let you over the trip wire and you can get in the wheel well with not too much pain, I'm really interested in seeing the interior of the forward section of the well close to the main strut and all around it. I have not seen pictures but I suspect that the retraction of the leg was accomplished by a hydraulic cylinder attached to the hinge point of the diagonal brace to the rear which caused the brace to scissor upwards and thereby pulling he strut into the well. Based on published photos, I suspect the museum staff replaced the original brace with one that is not hinged and that therefore the cylinder might have been removed. However, the giveaway would be a hole in the roof of the well just behind the main strut. Also interested to know what happens to all the hydraulic lines for the main door jacks as they disappear into the front of the well through bulkhead separating the main well from the smaller forward opening.

If this makes no sense, I'll just come with you! :lol:

Leave it with me Andy, and I'll see what I can do. I'll e-mail the Museum in advance, and see if I can get close up. Hope to be going on my 15th Birthday - 29th February, with my mate Mick, who's offered to take me there.

Some shots of the Dinah would be nice Terry. I have one in the stash and had not realized that there was a real one still in existence until I looked at the museum's web site just now.

Hhmm ....... !

Dogsbody i am in Newbury on 27th/28th and am wondering if i might be able to travel home via Cosford on the 29th ?????????????

will speak with SWMBO and see what i can do Terry and if your trip is still on, you never know i might get to join you !

Someday I'd love to cash in some air miles and accompany you guys on a visit like this. Oh, and maybe quaff a few pints too and knock back a T-Stoff or 3.

Glenn, same reply as per Andy.
Karl, do it and stay over at my place - having a 'few' beers that night - for some reason! (after all, I probably wont reach 21 !)
Andy - get yer ass over here! (No excuses accepted !!)

well i'm all signed up now !

Andy, Glenn you guys making it then ??????
Wish I could Karl. The wife and I were talking about trying to do a trip over there, but the soonest it would be is late this summer, but more likely next year if it happens at all. A lot of family commitments to find a solution too first.

Some shots of the Dinah would be nice Terry. I have one in the stash and had not realized that there was a real one still in existence until I looked at the museum's web site just now.

I managed to get a fair few shots of it on my visit. There was a thread I put up for Shinpachi on this very forum full of them. Have a search.

Paul, any chance you can get there the same day? Got provisional clearance from the Museum to get 'close up', and been informed that both the Me 410 and Dinah are undergoing maintenance, with lots of panels off - might be interesting.
Oh, and the day of my visit is also my 15th Birthday (Leap Year), so gathering for a few beers later - back at my hovel.

Paul, any chance you can get there the same day? Got provisional clearance from the Museum to get 'close up', and been informed that both the Me 410 and Dinah are undergoing maintenance, with lots of panels off - might be interesting.
Oh, and the day of my visit is also my 15th Birthday (Leap Year), so gathering for a few beers later - back at my hovel.

Sadly not - it was a logistical nightmare to get there the first time! I now dub thee Lord of the 410! Go to it and do us proud!

Here's a few cracking museum though, free to get in and parking about £5.

ME 410 1.jpg
ME 410.jpg
ME 410 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back