RAF/RAAF Aircraft Instrument Identification Guide

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A fellow warbird enthusiast shared with me a very helpful reference document that links RAF/RAAF WWII-era aircraft instruments to the aircraft which used them. I've been searching for a document like this for years, and finally found it. The document is RAAF 346 Types and Locations of Instruments in RAAF, dated 1945. The document lists both British and US-manufactured aircraft used in the RAAF during that era and instruments by function with their manufacturer and part number, with both the RAAF and RAF reference numbers (unfortunately, it doesn't include RCAF reference numbers, so I'm still looking for that info and would appreciate any help there). If you have an instrument with a reference number, this 138-page chart may help to trace its history.

I've posted it as a pdf file on my military aviation artifacts website, which anyone may download without cost.
It can be found here, just scroll about halfway down the page:
http://aeroantique.com/pages/downloads

JT
2banaviator

This helped me find my part, but it's marked as "C" I presume that it's a generic part but what aircraft use type C parts? Thanks for sharing!

George,
On page 2 of the document a note appears which says that the categories A,B,C,D on the right hand of each page have no bearing whatsoever and will be deleted from future editions.

Unfortunately, I only read that after perusing the list for 30 minutes attempting to correlate C designated instruments to aircraft characteristics. The only meaningful 'common' characteristic was that the Navigator's Compass, Astro Compass, C-1 autopilot and the Flux Gate compass system appeared only in C category, leading me to think that it was only for large multi-engine, multi-crew US-made aircraft. Then I found British instruments under C, and small capacity fuel quantity indicators under C....Then I found the note on page 2...:|

I still haven't figured out why an item would not be linked to any aircraft but appear as a ABCorD category. Perhaps I'm 70 years too late and now left pondering the imponderable....

If you send the part info to me, I'll see if I have other reference documents to check. There are also many other clues, so feel free to send a photo of the front and back, and any markings on the sides.

JT

George, after reading the other thread, I believe that you have as much information on it now than you will ever get, realistically.

If you want to think more about collecting, feel free to peruse my portfolio of artifacts at AeroAntique.com. I 'rescue' items like yours from garages, attics, flea markets, auctions, etc., with the intent of preserving and recycling them to warbird restoration projects. I've assisted about a dozen restorations in the US and EU over the last few years. Its a labor of love, but I get to enjoy these historic artifacts for a little while until a restorer comes along to put them to good use. There's nothing like seeing one of your artifacts return to the sky....

Fair enough, thanks anyway. Nice site and collection :) I have something new you might be interested in, I bought a Gyroscope from what seems to be a french plane. It's named as a "Bloc Gyroscopique" on the back and is marked as manufactured by "S.F.I.M F6158" the reference number "54873-140" the 'No.' is "780" and it's dated as "11.75" there is a sticker placed om the back that says "LNC/R/5/84" I'll upload some pictures later once I get back. I'll start a thread on it too. Check my account later. I'm only telling yoi this as I saw you have 70s parts on your site too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back