Ranking of brands?

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by VALENGO, Jun 27, 2010.

1. VALENGO

VALENGO Member

engineer
    Home Page:
    Hi all, a question about aircraft, WW2, 1/48 or 1/32: where can I see any ranking of quality of main brands in the market?. Old giants like Hasegawa and others have today new competitors?. (I´ve spended many years recycling old models )

2. Airframes

Airframes Benevolens Magister

Retired
    I don't think such a 'ranking' exists. This is possibly due to the fairly frequent 'Badge Engineering', where a particular kit might be re-boxed under a different company's name, for example, former Hasegawa Bf109K under the Revell lable.
    Also, even in a particular manufacturer's product line, there can be variations in quality, fit, accuracy etc. Some might produce what, in general terms, is a good, nicely detailed kit, but might have a reputation, overall, for fit problems, accuracy, or inflated retail price. It's probably easier, and better, to search out individual kt reviews for a particular subject/scale.

3. VALENGO

VALENGO Member

engineer
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the reply, Airframes. Well, as in the old times, it is still a matter of trial and error. I have seen an offer for a Hasegawa 1/32 Focke Wulf 190 at a suspicious low price; that´s the reason for I wonder how is the market today. If I decide to buy, will post a report.

4. Airframes

Retired
    It could well be the old (1970s) kit, which is still pretty good. It's boxed as a FW190A8, although I seem to recall that there were optional parts. However, it didn't have the upper or lower wing bulges for the outboard cannons, which is easily taken care of, and the seat isn't very accurate. Still builds into a nice model though, and can easily be corrected and detailed. I've still got the one I built in 1978 !!

5. VALENGO

VALENGO Member

engineer
    Home Page:
    #5 VALENGO, Jun 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
    This info is enough for buying that wurger!. Moreover, there is a thin line between superdetailing and fixing manufacturer´s mistakes. Thanks again!

6. Airframes

Retired
    You're welcome.