Real COLOR dogfight footage or is this from a movie?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There was a show in Britian not too long ago that was about training an RAF pilot to fly Spitfires. Can't remember the name, but it looks to me to be footage from that.

If you're talking about the scene at about 32. minutes in, that's from a German point of view.
Set over the Cliffs of Dover. Color film, with audio, seems a little too contrived to be real.

Last edited:
also the 109 is a Buchon and the spitfires seem to be Mk IX's !

not sure where that footage from 31 mins is from but it looks good, dont remember seeing white wing tipped 109's in the BoB movie either ?

I agree with the guys. I remember seeing this clip from an earlier documentary about the BoB. The 109 is clearly a Buchon and the film resolution too high a quality for gun cam footage.

Some of the B&W footage is from the 1950s movie 'Angels One Five', and the colour 'footage' is definitely CGI.
Not seen in any movie, definitely not from the 'BoB' movie, or from the late 1980s TV series 'Piece of Cake', or even from the 'BoB' scenes in 'Pearl Harbour'.
Certainly not actual footage - no time, or inclination during the BoB to do so, nor the colour film available - and the 'combats' were far too low down, compared to 'average'.
Reasonably well done CGI, perhaps originally from a flight sim programme, or produced especially.

Yep, I agree,not "real".

Whilst there were no white wing tipped Bf 109s in the BoB movie there were in the real BoB.

Here's one I made earlier

Top_View_web.gif

A note signed by the pilot

vonWerraNote-boyautorequest.gif

The one that got away :)

Steve

And another one. This one being Heinz Schnabel (1/JG3), the one who almost got away, and, coincidentally, shot down on the same day as von Werra (Steve's model subject), belly landing only a few miles away.

Attachments

• BoB Build 2 270.jpg
    BoB Build 2 270.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 364
The color portion of that film is CGI. Years ago there was a long thread about it. The link above is actually a poor version of the original, as the original was very clear and crisp in detail. Not grainy like this Youtube link. Not sure how it ended up in this 59min youtube channel. As I recall, a CGI special effects company created it as a model of their capabilities. It is quite impressive, but does have some flaws (technical/procedural) in it. It continues to pop up now and again and newer members join the forum. Good stuff!

Yeah I figured this had to be fake but the radio com's are what got me, lol. The creators did a good job at making them sound like transmissions from old school radios. I thought that German pilots hated using them though?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back