Realisations in a time of great sadness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crunch

Senior Airman
Hey guys,

I had a really unexpected and gut-wrenching phone call this arvo from my girlfriend... Her dad passed away this morning.

Honestly, I'd only met him a couple of times in the 4 years we've been together, as he lived interstate. But he really is, one of the nicest and most genuine blokes I know, and we got along really well.

The scary part is, that he was only 46, fighting fit, didn't smoke and from what I've been told, has just come off the best and most relaxing week he's ever had. He had no family history and felt fantastic the night before from what we've been told.

So guys, if there's things you've been 'getting around' to doing, don't waste time; Do it. Quit smoking, join that gym, build that house, whatever! Don't waste time and make excuses. tell your kids you love them, tell your parents you love them, because you just don't know. Don't dwell on what you could have should have would have done, everyone can change their future if they embrace that change and don't fear it. Don't regret anything, there's nothing you can do about the past. It's happened. Deal with it. Be present minded and make a difference.

Knowing how great this community is, I'm anticipating many kind words from you all, but for every kind word you extend to us, give out another one.

So to John Horwood, father of my lovely Ashlee, thank you for being the best person you could have been, you will be missed.

Cheers mate :occasion5:

My Condolences as well!

This isn't a "one upmanship" message. So please don't take it as that.

I lost my only brother back in 1979. He was 21. He had been married just 30 days. He was driving his pickup truck with friends when he just collapsed at the wheel. His friend were able to stop the truck without an accident. But by the time the ambulance got there, well, he was gone. The hospital tried everything and then some, but nothing worked.

The best guess as to cause of death an adult form of "Sudden Infant Death Syndrome". The is extremely rare, but does happen. He didn't smoke, drink, do drugs, or anything else. He was very tall, 6' 6" tall and weighed about 240 pounds. And as I can attest to a week before his death, very strong!

So you just never know. Death can come at any time. You can do everything right and die young. You can do most wrong and live a long time. We just don't fully understand the human body enough to figure it all out.

Bill G.

Terrible news... I'm very sorry for the loss.

But you're right... it can be used as a source for inspiration. Two weeks ago, within the span of 4 days, I had one friend killed in a car crash, a good friend's father die and a co-worker was shot.

Life is indeed fragile... good luck to you, your girlfriend and her family.

My condolences Crunch. I lost my father the same way, 3 years ago. I learned from that that you have to take life as it comes. You'll never know if you'll be here tomorrow. All the best for your girlfriend and be there for her

very sorry to here this Crunch, hoping somehow all of you can be on a positive end through all of this terrible time.......

46 is too frickin young to pass on

E ~

My condolences, bro. I know how you must be feelin.....lost my grandmother several years ago, then about two years later, my mother-n-law....three years after her, my father-n-law passed away, followed within about a month by a very close friend I worked with at church, and now my Dad has some pretty bad cancer. Life is cruel and uncaring, and its a frikkin shame that amazingly wonderfully wise posts like yours have to come after such a tragedy.

Again, our prayers go out to you and Ashlee, and her family and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back