Recent forum software changes? (Quotes/ (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

HoHun

Tech Sergeant
Oct 15, 2006
Hi everyone,

Could it be that something has been changed regarding the site software recently?

I've been noticing two issues:

1.) When I hit the "Reply" button, text that was included in quote tags in the message I'm replying more is not listed any more.

(I assume it was listed in the past, but I'm not perfectly sure of this.)

2.) I've lost an almost finished post in the edit window twice this weekend, and didn't understand how. I don't normally ever lose posts, so I suspect something about the forum software has subtly changed.

(Or maybe that's just a sign I'm getting old ;)

Thanks for listening to my rather unspecific enquiry!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Eric,

>I have to hit the QUOTE box for the text to be quoted, but there may be a user setting to change that. I'll have a look.

Roger, I meant to describe what happens when I hit the "QUOTE" button.

The text is in fact quoted, except for the bits that already are quotes in the post I'm quoting. (That's confusing because it results in loss of context information).

This "no nested quotes" behaviour is what confused me - maybe it was always like that and I just never noticed?

Thanks for looking into this! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Eric,

>Hmmm, it seems to be okay for me, and I didn't find anything in the user setup that could cause this behavior. I'll keep looking, but I don't know at this moment.

Thanks! I think I have found out what caused me to lose my posts now - it's use of the search feature from the browser with the edit window.

As I'm using Opera, I'm used to getting the results of search requests entered in the browser search box in a new window. If I use the forum search box, the results are displayed in the same window however, replacing my half-finished post. (I could have used the "back" button to get my post back, but I was caught up in my concept of Google results not having a "back" because they're always in new windows :)

So please count this one as "dumb user error" - sorry for the false alarm!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Eric,

>I will call it more of a browser compatibility problem. I use Firefox, and it seems to be pretty solid.

I feel obliged to defend Opera here - it was just me pushing the wrong button.

(Or is the navbar_search script supposed to open a new window? I thought that this was only my erroneous assumption.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Gnomey,

>Forum search bar has always opened in the same window. It is only in Firefox/Opera etc that the search bar section (top right in Firefox) opens in a new window.

Thanks for the confirmation! :) So Opera is not to fault, and the blame rests entirely on me!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back