Recognition Model Building Questions

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mpostlewaite

Recruit
Nov 17, 2009
Seymour, TN
Hi all,
I recently came across a small manual that was given to school kids and boy scouts during the early 1940's on how to build wooden recognition models to be used by the soldiers and pilots during the war. I thought it would be fun to build some of these models for my kids and nephews for Christmas. However, this book did not come with any plans on how to build individual airplane types. I found a form online to order some plans from the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, though I fear that I may not have time to build these models if I have to wait too long for the plans to arrive in the mail. Is this the best route to get these model plans or is there another way? Any help or advice is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Most of the models of the period were not true scale, so a basic plan would probably suffice, especially if these are going to be 'solid' wooden models, painted black overall.
You should find that most internet entries for an aircraft type will have at least a 3 - view drawing, which is probably all you need to re-size to the requirements and produce the basic shapes.

I agree with Terry. If you post a list of models you want to build, I'm sure we could post some 3 view drawings that you could scan, scale, print, and use as cutting templates for the wooden blocks.

Thanks guys,

I was thinking of making a P-47, but haven't thought of what else to try. Maybe a FW-190 or a bomber.

How's this:

Attachments

• Fw_190_f_8_3D_view.gif
    Fw_190_f_8_3D_view.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 75
  • P47D%2030RA.jpg
    P47D%2030RA.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 115
If wood models are not the important to you, but 1/72nd scale models of your choice. Build them crudely (no antenna, no bombs, no drop tanks, no cockpit detail, cut off the propeller blades, glue them together, sand them down and paint them flat black (including clear canopy/windows). One hell of a lot quicker doing one from scratch and you could get quite a bit of diversity. I have a used model shop in my area where you can get some old kits REAL cheap.

Matt,

Thanks for the idea, however I am trying to build wooden toy airplanes for kids between 2 and 7 years old and I would hope that wood would hold up better than plastic models in their hands. I gave my son, who is 5 years, a plastic model and it lasted two days and cost a few tears in the process. I should probably learn to cast iron.

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back