recreation of RAF B24 air attack on Thai ship 1945

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pattayascuba

Recruit
Feb 8, 2012
www.pattaya-scuba.net
Here a visual recreation of the attack on the S.S. Suddhadib by RAF B-24 Liberator Squadrons 99 and 159 out of India on 1st June 1945. The video is a compilation of 29 individual digital illustrations which I have worked on for many weeks while given accurate attention to historical details.

Here a link to my website:

Suddhadib attack video

The wreck of the ship today is a popular scuba dive site in Thailand and was the origin of this project. I have measured out the wreck underwater and re-created the ship in 3D software.

Next to the attack video (and the gallery of all visuals in high resolution) I have also included a research page of the attack with all the findings necessary to finish the visuals properly.

Enjoy!

Alex Beuchel

25w800.jpg

Here one of the 29 illustrations of the full series!

+1.

Excellent work, and worth far more of our time than the new "Red Tails" movie. Congrats on beating Lucus with his $90 million budget.

Dear Siegfried!

Once you click the link to the website, there is another link over to the "Suddhadib (Hardeep) Attack RESEARCH" page that lists a lot of backgrounds of the attack.

But to answer your question here in the forum, here is why a Thai ship was target of British RAF bombers.

• Japan was enemy of the Allies
• Great Britain was stationed in India (amongst others, a lot of airfields in West Bengal around the area of Calcutta, like the airfield Digri featured in the attack visuals)
• as in many conflicts, Thailand tried to stay 'neutral' but was threatened by Japan to be invaded
• instead, Thailand decided to capitulate and serve as an ally of Japan (not as an occupied nation but under Thai military flags - however under orders of Japan)
• one of the war efforts of Japan was the construction of the "Death Railway" - a railway line from south East Asia all the way to India to forward war supplies and troops in front of the doors of India
• Britain was forced to bring this construction to a halt (a famous incident was the attack on the bridge over the River Kwai)
• The Thai ship "S.S. Suddhadib" had originally been a regular passenger and freight ship for over 20 years before the war
• However, during war times most commercial ships were subscribed by the Thai Navy to help the military goals
• on the day of the attack the ship had loaded a large shipment of fuel drums, coming from Singapore and destined to be delivered to the construction of the Death Railway so she became a direct target
• next to the S.S. Suddhadib, at least two other major ships were attacked, the HTMS Angthong (main target) and the HTMS Tachin, plus another smaller fuel tanker. All targets were hit that day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back