rectangular bulges on FW190a wings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jasso24

Recruit
May 9, 2009
I have the 1/32 Hasegawa FW190a-6 and-8 kits as well as several Eduard kits. Why do some references show a rectangular bulge over the outboard MG 151 cannons and some do not? The Hasegawa kits have the parts, the Eduards do not and do not show them in their color diagrams. The wartime BW photos that I have do not show outboard bulges on A-5's thru A-8's. I thought I had learned quite a bit about the FW 190 in the past two months but apparently not.

The bulges are the covers over the feed mechanism of the cannon fitted to the A8; the A5 did not have these, and the original, 1970's Hasegawa kit of the A8 also lacks the covers, and the underwing, slightly bulged access hatches incorporating the spent case ejector slots. This old kit was orginally issued with options to build the A3 to A8, IIRC, and is therefore inaccurate, in the wing, among other places, especially for the A8.

Thanks very much for the reply. Did some A-6s have them? The new mold Hasegawa kits show that they should be installed.

Finally figured it out---I think. The bulges are covers for the MK108 30mm cannons installed on some A-6's and then pretty much standardized on the -8 wing. Apparently the bumps did not hinder aerodynamics and either MG151 cannons or the MK108 could be used. I love doing research. I had never heard about the MK108 until last night. It must have been awesome to see the 30mm cannons or four 20mm cannons firing-----except I don't think the allies appreciated it much.

I'd need to check too. I have a feeling the A6 had a lower-profile, shaped bulge, which was later enlarged to the recrangular bulge we know, on the intermediate A7. All improvements were then incorporated on the A8. I'm sure one of us will get back to you with the answer, and/or drawings etc.
BTW, the reason for the larger bulge, and the lack of it on earlier models, was that the receiver of the MG151, with the feed mecahnism installed, was larger than that of the MG/FF previously fitted, needing more clearance within the wing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back