Red Arrows pilot injured. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
A BBC News internet report states that a Red Arrows display pilot has been "seriously injured" in an accident on the ground at RAF Scampton, Lincolnshire UK. The report states that the accident "involved an ejection seat".
Details are sparse at the moment, but a colour photo with the article shows one of the team's Hawks on the ground, canopy closed, with the front cockpit ejection seat telescopic guide extended and the canopy glazing broken, consistent with ejection through the canopy, as designed.
The pilot has not been named.

Me too. Forgot to state, the aircraft appeared to be parked on the flight line, alongside a second Hawk, so looks like this happened before moving.

Very sad news indeed, especially in such circumstances. Condolences to all concerned.

Heard this from a mate today. He said the pilot ejected from the static aircraft and the chute didn't open. Very sad and tragic. :(

Sean...Blue Skies and Tailwinds Sir

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth Of sun-split clouds,
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of
Wheeled and soared and swung High in the sunlit silence.
Hov'ring there I've chased the shouting wind along,
and flung My eager craft through footless halls of air
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back