Regarding H2S and H2X radar

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

donkeyking

Airman
Dec 6, 2005
which country was H2X radar made in? UK or US

And who can post a mosquito picture for me and this mosquito installed H2S radar?

Thanks

And who can post a mosquito picture for me and this mosquito installed H2S radar?

Thanks

So far as I'm aware, H2S was developed by the Brits, though I don't know if they benefitted from US tech / bits in doing so.

Not sure how H2X differed, but so far as I know it was the US designation for H2S. The Brits never called their own system H2X, only the USAAF.

At least some 139 Sqn Mosquitos had H2X in a painted-over nose, as opposed to the larger blister on the aft fuselage, which IIRC was used right at the end of the war by 627 Sqn.

There's a photo of a 139 Sqn H2X Mossie at this site:

Wing Commander H A Forbes

Last edited:
H2X was the American development of the British H2S; both were airborne ground-scanning radar.Halifax/ Lancaster pathfinders had H2S in a bulge under the fuselage.
H2S was also in a few Eighth AF B-17Fs in late 1943 but installed below the nose ; early H2X units were the same ----known as "STINKEY".
Later it was able to be fitted in place of the ball turrets in Eighth-Fifteenth B-17s and B-24s (as a radome) known as "MICKEY".
H2S and other electronic gear was in RAF Mosquito PR.IXs; Eighth AF had PR.XVIs with H2X in a re-designed nose similar to the "bullnose" on night fighter XIIIs and XXXs (802RG/ 25BG(R) .
The attached is a red-tailed XVI from the 25th at Watton,the small bulge on top of the nose can also be seen on some RAAF Beaufighters.

Nick

Attachments

• h2x-mosquito.jpg
    h2x-mosquito.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 478
The H2S differed from H2X in the wavelenght used.
H2 S = S band, It worked in 10 cm of wavelength.
H2 X = X band, It worked in 3 cm wavelength.

H2X was a nightmare for twin engined airplanes because It demanded a lot of power from the engines. it was cause of accidents, and wasn´t all the worth It was intended for (It tended to be frequently jammed by the rain ad snow, a lot more than H2S, and far more than equivalent German radars working in decimetric wavelenght,like "Hohentwiel", almost immune to bad weather).

I hope this can help.
Best regards. :D

What other difference is there except wavelength between H2S MK III and H2X ?

I know US used H2X radar before June 1944, but RAF just used H2S MK III which used the same 3cm wavelength with H2X in Dec 1944.

Last edited:
Hello donkeyking

What other difference is there except wavelength between H2S MK III and H2X ?

I know US used H2X radar before June 1944, but RAF just used H2S MK III which used the same 3cm wavelength with H2X in Dec 1944.

Unfortunatelly, I don´t know exactly the difference. I think that it was more of a designation problem between US and British nomenclature, than really a big difference between both sets. I will try to find something more in books and documents.

Best regards :D

I hope you can help me to find some information about manufacture information for H2X

Thanks again and good luck to you.

Thanks
See this page for details about public H2S and ASV operator and maintenance manuals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back