Reggiane Re 2005

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi,
it's raining since a few days here in Milan, so my outside activity (painting etc) is quite limited, so I decided to start this new project

Reggiane_Re.2005_Sagittario.jpg

Re2005-9_1.jpg

starting from the PCM kit in 1:32

01.jpg

According to Vikypedia,

The Reggiane Re.2005 Sagittario (English: Archer, Sagittarius) was an Italian monoplane fighter/fighter-bomber produced for the Regia Aeronautica during the later years of World War II. It is considered by many to be "the most beautiful plane of the Second World War".[2] Along with the Macchi C.202/C.205 and Fiat G.55, the Reggiane Re.2005 was one of the three Serie 5 Italian fighters. The well balanced lines of the fuselage were aerodynamically perfect, and everything was designed to get the most out of the famous Daimler-Benz DB 605 engine.[3] The only drawback was a certain structural weakness in the rear section of the fuselage.[3] Only 48 examples had been delivered before the Armistice and these fighters took part in the defence of Naples, Rome and Sicily with the final survivors battling above the crumbling ruins of Berlin, with German insignia.[4] Well-respected ace and military observer, Group Captain Duncan Smith, DSO DFC, stated: "The Re.2005 was altogether a superb, potent aeroplane."[5]

So far I did some preparation work and started the cockpit; pictures will follow as soon as the sun comes back :)

Cheers
Aberto

Hi,
as I mentioned I wanted to take some photos on this "in-progress" model but, as the sun didn't showed-up, I had to do that under a lamp.
As you will see, one consequence is that the interior green, I used Lifecolor as their shade seems to me to be quite correct, is almost undistinguishable from the grey plastic.

Here we are:

Landing gear bays, almost ready to be installed in wings.
DSCN1995.JPG

Left and right cockpit panels:

DSCN1997 edit.jpg
DSCN1998.JPG

Cockpit floor with the home made control stick: the kit one IMHO was too tick an wrong in shape.

DSCN2001 edit.jpg

Of course the control stick waits for painting and the whole cockpit requires some weathering.

Then we have fuselage halves:

DSCN2004 edit.jpg
DSCN2006 edit.jpg
DSCN2007.JPG

I added that plasti-card shim following the suggestion of an other modeller, because I wanted the front section to be round, not almost oval.

DSCN2009.JPG
DSCN2010.JPG

Last but not least, I started separating all movable surfaces.

DSCN2008.JPG

More to follow.
Alberto

great stuff
I love these italian WW2 aircrafts... they looks like Ferrari on the sky :)

What tool are you using for separeting movable parts?

Roman

Hi Roman,
the plastic of this kit if quite soft, fortunately, but is 1.5 mm tick in average.
For the rudder already done, I used a new x-acto blade and the same will be for the remaining rudder part. For ailerons I will probably also use a razor saw because some cuts will be straight.
Alberto

A few more photos on the cockpit panels

DSCN2081.JPG
DSCN2082.JPG
DSCN2083.JPG
View attachment 199881View attachment 199882
DSCN2089.JPG

The instrument panel still wait for handles to be fitted.

Still on the same subject, I found a few pictures telling me that skin was very stressed, specially on wings, see below:

ala dx.jpg
imprnnaggio.jpg

As I think that, to be consistent with the real bird, I should try to replicate that effect.
Do you have any suggestion on how to do it?
So far I found some food suggestions here
Stressed Skin Effect for Model Aircraft by Klaus Herold
but I would like to know if there are other methods in your knowledge.

Many thanks in advance.
Alberto

Last edited:
Great start so far. Very much like your painting. Nice well worn look but still subtle. Good luck on doing the stressed skin effect. I look forward to seeing how you tackle that.

Dan

Some more progresses on my preparation work.

Separated Ailerons
DSCN2135.JPG

Tail planes and rudder
DSCN2139.JPG

Started making new landing gear covers
Kit part thickness: 1.1 mm, my one: 0.6 mm
DSCN2137.JPG

Some more will follow soon.
Alberto

Looking good Al I have both the 205/202 from PCM in the collection but have not ventured there yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back