Relative manoeuvrability of early to mid 30's aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ascent

Senior Airman
Apr 7, 2012
Bomber country, England
I wonder if I could get a little help on a project I'm working on.

I'm trying to sort out how manoeuvrable certain aircraft were with relation to each other. These are the aircraft:-

I-15 Polikarpov I-15 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I-16 Polikarpov I-16 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HE51 Heinkel He 51 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
HS123 Henschel Hs 123 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
CR32 Fiat CR.32 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
P-26 Boeing P-26 Peashooter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gladiator Gloster Gladiator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fury Hawker Fury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Swordfish Fairey Swordfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I reckon at the bottom of the pile would be the Swordfish with the HS-123 above it with the HE-51 above that simply because it was designed as a fighter even though it was soon obsolete. The Fury I would place above that as I understand it was quite an acrobatic aircraft for it's time.

Above that I'd think the P-26 then the I-16. The I-15 and the CR32 I understand were generally considered about equal during the Spanish civil war so would go in at the same point although there must be differences in how they flew. That leaves the Gladiator at the top as I understand it was considered about equal to the CR42 during WWII.

So best to worst

Gladiator
I-15/CR32
I-16
P-26
Fury
HE-51
HS123
Swordfish

I'll admit that my knowledge of some of these aircraft is very basic and I'm not sure were to find the information I'm after so hopefully you kind people here will be able to help me.

Cheers,
Ascent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back