Relic aircraft parts - Need help IDing them !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Steve T

Airman
Dec 17, 2010
Hi All

I have been recovering relics again from a USAAF airbase and have two items that I need help on.

The first I believe is from inside the carburetor of either a Allison or Merlin engine, just need help on IDing which one. (Only P38s and P51s were based at the old airfield where these items were recovered).

DSC01919.JPG

Nice number on the piece. Is it a part number or aircraft serial number ?

DSC01920.JPG

The other items was these the tubes, both made of aircraft alloy with a steel/iron clamp at one end. As you can see, they are 2 foot long. At first I thought they may have been 50cal barrel sleeves (blast tubes) but I can't match them to any from either a P51 or P38. Then I thought they could be from the engine compartment, (they were found tight next to the above mesh item), but again, cannot track them down to a Allison or Packard Merlin. Anybody know what they are off ? No markings visible on either, but there is the remains of yellow paint on both.

DSC01922.JPG

Close up of the 'clamped' end

DSC01923.JPG

Close up of other end

DSC01925.JPG

Also evidence of something being mounted here as there are 4 screw/bolt holes on both examples.

DSC01927.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Steve T

Ok, tubes and mesh positively IDd

The mesh is from an Allison engine carb (P38 lightning) and the tubes are indeed 50cal barrel tubes (Blast tubes), from a P38 Lightning. Pictures showing tubes and mesh below......

In the second picture you can clearly see where the tube attaches to the MG and the clamp and groove seen in the examples I have

Turned out to be two of the best finds I've made for a while !!!!

p38bt1.jpg

p38bt2.jpg

PD-12K.jpg

:) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back