Relic from WW1 still around

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

RabidAlien

1st Lieutenant
Apr 27, 2008
Hurst, Texas
Found this nearby gem while searching for Geocaches in the area (Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site) around where I work:

Zoomed out view, to kinda show the general area, north of Fort Worth, west of Dallas
map.jpg

Top arrow points to the bomb target location, bottom arrow is one of the sites my company provides IT for. Soooo close....!
ScreenShot005.jpg

Bomb target as seen from Google.
ScreenShot004.jpg

This site has a *very* little bit of info on the site: Taliaferro Field Bombing Target / Hicks Field Bombing Target

Sweet, I didn't have closeup shots of it. From what I've read, its a sunken concrete shape of a WW1 biplane, used so that bombers/fighters from nearby Hicks field could practice strafing ground targets, and dropping sacks of flour for bombing practice. There were several in the area, since the Canadians trained pilots there (one site said they launched and landed an airplane every 50 seconds or so, round the clock, and the runway never got cold during the winter). This is the only one that hasn't had a housing area built up over it. Farmers recognized it for what it was, and have taken steps to ensure that it remains undisturbed.

Your welcome Thor and excellent shots you have there Marcel, that gives a better idea of how it was made. I was not sure how or what it was made of. From RA's account we now know it's concrete. Thanks RA. This is very interesting.:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back