Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day/Memorial Day

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hunter368

Tech Sergeant
Nov 5, 2005
Winnipeg
Not sure how they are recognized in each of your countries. But here in Canada (or at least Manitoba) it is a paid day off. Here is my question:

Do you think everything should be closed on that day? ie malls, grocer stores, bars, etc

I am interested in hearing from the Vets here and everyone else if you have a opinion on it.

I believe that we should close all none essential stores. No bars, malls, etc. Corner stores are ok for bread or milk etc. I think we should do this out of respect for our Vets who have protected, fought for, killed and even died for our country. Maybe even a moment of slience in our schools, would be nice. The least we could do is pay them that little bit of respect one day a year. I just hate when I hear people who say yeh!!! a day off with pay!!! and they have no idea or even care WHY or WHAT Remembrance Day is about.

What do you think? I am over reacting or on the right track.

ps Yes I know Remembrance Day is a long way off, lol.

memorial day in the US is this monday. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country have long forgotten the fallen heroes of yesterday's wars. But the local veterans cemetary has a nice memorial service with a flyover. They honor veterans from all wars and peacetime. I may take the camera this year to record the event. I did last year, but was too far away for the point and shoot camera to really get anything. There weren't too many dry eyes in the area when they re-enacted the flag raising at Iwo.

It's a matter of personal choice here. What I do hate to see is retailers having Memorial Day sales. I choose to ignore those things and take time to remember the fallen. I do that regularly anyway, not just one day a year.

Hunter368 said:
Do you think everything should be closed on that day? ie malls, grocer stores, bars, etc
I've heard some Legion members state that they'd be against the idea of Remembrance Day being a complete holiday like that, because they're afraid it would just become another "day off" once a year, like Victoria Day. People wouldn't really care why they were off, they'd just be off. They'd rather people remembered what it's supposed to be about. I tend to agree with them.

Nonskimmer said:
I've heard some Legion members state that they'd be against the idea of Remembrance Day being a complete holiday like that, because they're afraid it would just become another "day off" once a year, like Victoria Day. People wouldn't really care why they were off, they'd just be off. They'd rather people remembered what it's supposed to be about. I tend to agree with them.

Ok but how do we GET them to remember those Vets. Like you said no matter what we do 90% of the population just think of it as a "day off".
Or is it just a hopeless case and either people remember the Vets (say 10% of the population) or just they don't.

Like Eric said retailers having Remembrance Day sales is in poor taste I think.

IMHO

evangilder said:
memorial day in the US is this monday. Unfortunately, a lot of people in this country have long forgotten the fallen heroes of yesterday's wars. But the local veterans cemetary has a nice memorial service with a flyover. They honor veterans from all wars and peacetime. I may take the camera this year to record the event. I did last year, but was too far away for the point and shoot camera to really get anything. There weren't too many dry eyes in the area when they re-enacted the flag raising at Iwo.

It's a matter of personal choice here. What I do hate to see is retailers having Memorial Day sales. I choose to ignore those things and take time to remember the fallen. I do that regularly anyway, not just one day a year.

I agree Eric. Seeing those Old Soldiers in their uniformers is a touching and sad sight. But angers me when no one (or few) cares.

As you can most likely tell this is a sore point with me and has been for years. At times I have a hard time holding back my anger over it.

I can say, being a vet, that it's part of the freedom of this country whether one chooses to remember the veterans or not. While I think it's a shame that more people choose to forget about the fallen, I don't get in a knot about it. Whether malls and stores close or not will not have any bearing on whether or not people remember. I do appreciate that it is a national holiday so that those of us who do choose to go to a memorial service can. Several cable stations air war movies and such as well to honor the fallen, and many people watch them. But you cannot force remembrance down anyone's throats.

Use your voice and your pen to remind people that freedom is not free, and many have died for it. Sometimes a gentle reminder is effective. Some will never care, no matter what is said and done. But spend a Memorial Day at a service, and you will find that there are people who do care, and that is what matters. If they held the local service and no one came, then that would be a cause for action. I can tell you that every year, the one I attend in Westlake Village is packed and standing room only.

I usually recieve several phone calls from former shipmates and a couple of other "dignitaries" for my contributions as a Veteran.... As some of u guys may know, I was pretty much a highly decorated sailor and did alot of things that stand out from the average SEAL, let alone squid.......

Alot of people respect what I did in the service, and show it quite graciously I must say....

I'm glad some seem to remember the sacrifices. here it is all show, the largest parades and most money makers for the retailers in our little neck of the woods. Boat races, honies sunning themselves, guys playing softball tournaments and everyone drunker than skunks for 4 days. The only thing that is of rememberance is when the F-18's soar over the two cemetaries which is all of 5 minutes max. personally Veterans day in November is when I celebrate if you want to call it that. My familie for reasons generally leave me alone for the day which is a good thing, they know why and leave it at that ...... remember the fallen

evangilder said:
I can say, being a vet, that it's part of the freedom of this country whether one chooses to remember the veterans or not. While I think it's a shame that more people choose to forget about the fallen, I don't get in a knot about it. Whether malls and stores close or not will not have any bearing on whether or not people remember. I do appreciate that it is a national holiday so that those of us who do choose to go to a memorial service can. Several cable stations air war movies and such as well to honor the fallen, and many people watch them. But you cannot force remembrance down anyone's throats.

Use your voice and your pen to remind people that freedom is not free, and many have died for it. Sometimes a gentle reminder is effective. Some will never care, no matter what is said and done. But spend a Memorial Day at a service, and you will find that there are people who do care, and that is what matters. If they held the local service and no one came, then that would be a cause for action. I can tell you that every year, the one I attend in Westlake Village is packed and standing room only.

Wisely put Eric. I just know if I had lost a family member or best friend etc.... not so sure I could be so laid back as you. But you are right I know. Sadly you are right.

lesofprimus said:
I usually recieve several phone calls from former shipmates and a couple of other "dignitaries" for my contributions as a Veteran.... As some of u guys may know, I was pretty much a highly decorated sailor and did alot of things that stand out from the average SEAL, let alone squid.......

Alot of people respect what I did in the service, and show it quite graciously I must say....

Thats nice to hear. In business its so often "what have you done for me lately". Its nice to hear that they still remember what you have done.

lesofprimus said:
I do get very emotional over the holiday weekend, as I have lost several friends in the name of freedom, and think about some bad memories that still sting.... My wife usually leaves me alone for the weekend.... (wifes a big nag lol)

Most wifes are nags. We like to shoot, destory, beat up, fight etc, they like to nag. It is God punishing us for some reason.

your sure about that Hunter ? actually they want us to listen to them/love them and the reverse is we want respect. ok enough of counseling 101

actually I wish I could get stoked about this weekend but as my previous posting mentioned veterans in my area are largely forgoten, and sadly enough some dear passing ww2 vets have been correct. Once they are gone who cares. the youth of today with all their freedoms have forgtten entirely of what their uncles, and grandfathers tried to achieve in the name of freedom and security of this country

Erich said:
your sure about that Hunter ? actually they want us to listen to them/love them and the reverse is we want respect. ok enough of counseling 101

actually I wish I could get stoked about this weekend but as my previous posting mentioned veterans in my area are largely forgoten, and sadly enough some dear passing ww2 vets have been correct. Once they are gone who cares. the youth of today with all their freedoms have forgtten entirely of what their uncles, and grandfathers tried to achieve in the name of freedom and security of this country

i was just kidding Erich, from a man that has been with the same women since we were 15 old. My wife and I know each so well its funny. We are now 36 old, she was my grade 9 prom date.

In Australia we have ANZAC Day (April 25th) which is a public holiday. The good thing about ANZAC day is that most Australian's actually take the time out to remember and pay their respects to our fallen heroes. In every city and town no matter how small, a memorial service is held at dawn ( known as the dawn service) followed by a gunfire breakfast for the Vets and concluded with a march through the city or town. The major cities come to a complete standstill as roads are blocked off and thousands of people line the streets to appluad the Veterans as they march past.
Travelling to battlefields for ANZAC Day is quite popular to these days, with crowds of 10- 15 000 people considered normal for an ANZAC Day service at Gallipoli. Hellfire Pass and Kokoda are also popular choices. The great thing about these services held overseas is that most of the participents are young Australians (I'm talkings people in their 20's) which is fantastic I believe in keeping the memories of our fallen heroes alive.

I always go to the service by myself. The wife knows that this is my time to reflect and remember. She doesn't fully understand, as anyone who wasn't there when things go bad can't. But she knows that this is not the time to do anything but give me the space I need. It is a very personal thing for each vet and we all have our own things to sort through. You will never hear of a vet saying to another vet "Happy Veterans day".

But I will say to my fellow vets here, Thanks. It was a tough job to do and somehow we made it through. I will forever remember the faces of those fresh faced kids who went way to early. They were all heroes to me. We all faced paying the ultimate price for freedom, and sometimes surviving can be harder than dying. So, my fellow survivors, raise a glass and toast. Prost! ANd thanks for being there to help out wherever and whenever it was. It was a team effort and everyone did their part the best they could. So to Joe, Erich, Dan and all of the other vets here, thanks guys.

evangilder said:
I always go to the service by myself. The wife knows that this is my time to reflect and remember. She doesn't fully understand, as anyone who wasn't there when things go bad can't. But she knows that this is not the time to do anything but give me the space I need. It is a very personal thing for each vet and we all have our own things to sort through. You will never hear of a vet saying to another vet "Happy Veterans day".

But I will say to my fellow vets here, Thanks. It was a tough job to do and somehow we made it through. I will forever remember the faces of those fresh faced kids who went way to early. They were all heroes to me. We all faced paying the ultimate price for freedom, and sometimes surviving can be harder than dying. So, my fellow survivors, raise a glass and toast. Prost! ANd thanks for being there to help out wherever and whenever it was. It was a team effort and everyone did their part the best they could. So to Joe, Erich, Dan and all of the other vets here, thanks guys.

No Eric,

Let me and all the other none Vets thank you and Joe, Erich, Dan and all the other Vets. We all owe you a huge thanks.

I Salute you all!

so will I Dan. we live in a very uncertain future but ya know who I would really thank is guys like jhor who flew many missions over the Reich and got America up and off it's butt and let freedom reign because of him, and the other WW 2 veterans of this great nation/Canada/England and other Allies . . . in no way shape or form do I discredit the likes of our younger vets that mod and frequent these forums

to all those I salute you ...... Never, ever give up !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back