Request for documents on the XB-32 and B-32 Dominator

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maty12

Senior Airman
Nov 6, 2019
Hi folks, this is my first post here. Before I explain what I'm looking for, I figure I should give y'all some background.

My name's Matt, I'm a sophomore in college majoring in Aeronautical Science and I've spent the last two years or so doing research on the B-32 on and off, as well as on a few other aircraft. I'm currently gearing up to start making a 3D model of the aircraft, with full interior and as much equipment as I can get away with before the polygon count becomes too much for my computer to handle. I want to cover every version of the aircraft from the three original prototypes to the few B-32-1CFs temporarily fitted with B-29 tails, to the last aircraft that rolled out of the Fort Worth plant, and perhaps even some of the planned variants. I'm hoping to be able to get the aircraft into FSX or the upcoming FS2020 (which will have come out years before I finish this project).

I've worked on models before, having spent three years working on a PBM-5a with a few friends for a physics simulator of all things. Sadly most of our code for that is now useless as the game's been updated numerous times during that period, and I made the mistake of starting that model before getting proper blueprints, so a lot of that time was spent rebuilding parts (I was also 15 when I started work on it and had never made a 3d model before). I'm trying to avoid that with the B-32, having spent the last couple years gathering as many references as I can find.

Regarding the XB-32 and B-32, I have both Benjamin Sinko and William Wolf's books on the aircraft, as well as the Airplane Commander's Manual, the Erection & Maintenance Manual and the Pilot's Manual. I'm also currently waiting for delivery on Stephen Harding's book and on the Structural Repair manual. I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of how most of the aircraft works, the only problem is a lack of blueprints and photographs. The manuals have very detailed blueprints for the landing gear and for all the tubing around the engines, and accurate-looking station diagrams, but almost everything else is a 3d-diagram without measurements. These are also only for the production version of the aircraft; I have nothing on the XB-32 other than the pictures in Wolf's book.

So this is a request for (if anyone has these or they even exist at all):

For both/either aircraft,
-Detailed 3-view drawing,
-Blueprints of the fuselage showing interior equipment,
-Blueprints for the cockpit section, bombardier's enclosure, any & all turrets, or any document that displays/describes the shape and size of the windows,
-Any high quality factory blueprints/diagrams,
-Any photographs of the interior.
-Photographs that clearly show the nose landing gear, as the manuals go back and forth between showing the strut curving backwards smoothly or having a sharp angle.

For the XB-32,
-Fuselage station diagram,
-Diagrams of the tail section, engine nacelles, engine systems (intake & exhaust pipes, for example), armament, nose landing gear doors,
-Dimensions of the vertical and horizontal stabilizers,
-Any photographs that show the areas previously mentioned in detail,
-Cutaways, diagrams or pictures of the aircraft's interior,
-Any performance charts or performance information,
-Any factory blueprints,

For the B-32,
-Diagrams of the B-32's horizontal stabilizer that show stations and position of hinge brackets,
-Photographs of the horizontal stabilizer not attached to the aircraft, or diagrams that show what the section hidden inside the fuselage looks like,
-Interior pictures of the bombardier's compartment.

Anything from the list, as well as any additional information or photographs are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
-Matt

Welcome aboard Matt,

Alan Griffith has a book coming out on the B-32 that will probably be the best ever written on it, but I'm not sure on his publication date.

NARA, NMUSAF and the Smithsonian will probably have what you need. I'd try the first 2 first.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard Matt,

Alan Griffith has a book coming out on the B-32 that will probably be the best ever written on it, but I'm not sure on his publication date.

NARA, NMUSAF and the Smithsonian will probably have what you need. I'd try the first 2 first.

Good luck!

Thank you! I've heard about Griffith's book and am eagerly looking forward to it. The structural repair manual has since arrived and it has some great drawings on the individual bulkheads, which will be extremely useful. I'll try to contact the museums you've mentioned, can't say I've heard of NARA before

NARA = National Archives and Records Administration
https://www.archives.gov
Ah, makes a lot more sense than the art museum in Japan I was finding! I'll take a look

legendsintheirowntime.com/LiTOT/Other/B32_index.html has a couple of contemporary magazine articles on the Dominator. There are a couple of photos.
Yeah, I've read through the LiTOT entries a few times, will give that a re-read.

Thanks for the links, lads. I haven't had much time to try contacting anyone and that'll likely be the case for the next few weeks due to finals, but after that I'll see what I can do

A friend told me that there was some more discussion about the B-32 here, so I thought I'd let you know another lovely little bit of information to keep your interest primed.

Did you know that in 1944 Consolidated proposed a turbo-prop powered version of the B-32? I'm guessing probably not as it came as a surprise to me, too. I have a fair amount of data on it (almost all that exists as it never got beyond the proposal stage), and it will, of course, appear in the book! Thus far I have roughly 42GB (yes...GIBABYTES) of documentation, photos and drawings assembled. While "perfect is the enemy of good" is certainly true, this periodic discovery of completely unknown information cannot be ignored. To do so is BAD RESEARCH, and there is plenty of that out there already. One sees it liberally sprinkled through this and all the other aviation websites all the time. Quite honestly, too many people think Wikipedia actually tells them something, or are looking at a book that has lifted info from another book which lifted it from an earlier book which was wrong to begin with.

For those who want to know when this book will be out, I simply don't know. My co-author and I are hoping by the end of 2020, and that MAY mean having to ignore late-appearing information, but we can always hope for changes in a reprint. Due to contractual and personal agreements I'm sitting very tightly on what all we have. I checked with all parties involved just to release the above. However, it WILL be coming.

Submitted for your consideration,

AlanG

A friend told me that there was some more discussion about the B-32 here, so I thought I'd let you know another lovely little bit of information to keep your interest primed.

Did you know that in 1944 Consolidated proposed a turbo-prop powered version of the B-32? I'm guessing probably not as it came as a surprise to me, too. I have a fair amount of data on it (almost all that exists as it never got beyond the proposal stage), and it will, of course, appear in the book! Thus far I have roughly 42GB (yes...GIBABYTES) of documentation, photos and drawings assembled. While "perfect is the enemy of good" is certainly true, this periodic discovery of completely unknown information cannot be ignored. To do so is BAD RESEARCH, and there is plenty of that out there already. One sees it liberally sprinkled through this and all the other aviation websites all the time. Quite honestly, too many people think Wikipedia actually tells them something, or are looking at a book that has lifted info from another book which lifted it from an earlier book which was wrong to begin with.

For those who want to know when this book will be out, I simply don't know. My co-author and I are hoping by the end of 2020, and that MAY mean having to ignore late-appearing information, but we can always hope for changes in a reprint. Due to contractual and personal agreements I'm sitting very tightly on what all we have. I checked with all parties involved just to release the above. However, it WILL be coming.

Submitted for your consideration,

AlanG

Thanks for the info, Alan! A turboprop B-32 sounds very interesting, I wonder what the performance increase would've been. I understand that publishing deals mean that a lot of the information in your book can't be shared yet, and I look forward to reading it when it does come out! I absolutely agree that new information should not be ignored, and I certainly understand taking your time with the book to make sure the information in it is as accurate as possible. I'll be contacting the Smithsonian, NMUSAF, NARA and Depot41 as soon as I'm done with finals, and depending on what I hear back will see if I start work on the B-32 already or wait a bit longer.

Based on the blueprints I do have, I feel this project will be a lot more based on making specific parts (such as bulkheads and longerons) and then combining everything, rather than doing everything all at once as I did with the Mariner. This approach is a lot more time consuming, so I might prioritize my side project in the meantime and put the B-32 on the back burner. Building the Dominator will be a long process and I expect it to take at least 2 years or so.

Said side project is a Martin XB-33 Super Marauder. I've received a lot of blueprints and pictures of the mockup from the lovely folks at the Glen L. Martin museum about a year ago (some of which I see were also in American Secret Projects Volume 1!) and have been working on it on and off since. The exterior is mostly done, but missing turrets, cowl & oil cooler flaps, actuators for the wing flaps and hinges for the control surfaces, while the interior is still very bare. I could make a thread about that project, if anyone has any interest in that, as well as one for the B-32 when I do start work on it.

Cheers,
-Matt

Maty,

My pleasure to share about the B-32 when I can.

Regarding the XB-33, that is a most interesting aircraft. I have at least all the same drawings you have (an amazing number of variants), which I also got from my friend Stan Piet at the Martin Museum. The XB-33 is one of a number of bomber projects I'm researching for a future book title. Actually, I'm pretty sure the photos you received were ones I sent to Stan for their collection. Any time I find something new on a Martin aircraft I send it to him.

There were actually contracts let for the production of the XB-33, which was considered a medium-range heavy bomber. A factory was actually built in Nebraska (IIFRC) to build them. However, the XB-33 contract was cancelled and the factory turned over to Bell(?) for the production of B-29s. I may have some of these facts a bit cattywampus as I have not researched the XB-33 for some time as I work on other research, both for this book and others in preparation.

Good luck with your drawing projects.

AlanG

Maty,

My pleasure to share about the B-32 when I can.

Regarding the XB-33, that is a most interesting aircraft. I have at least all the same drawings you have (an amazing number of variants), which I also got from my friend Stan Piet at the Martin Museum. The XB-33 is one of a number of bomber projects I'm researching for a future book title. Actually, I'm pretty sure the photos you received were ones I sent to Stan for their collection. Any time I find something new on a Martin aircraft I send it to him.

There were actually contracts let for the production of the XB-33, which was considered a medium-range heavy bomber. A factory was actually built in Nebraska (IIFRC) to build them. However, the XB-33 contract was cancelled and the factory turned over to Bell(?) for the production of B-29s. I may have some of these facts a bit cattywampus as I have not researched the XB-33 for some time as I work on other research, both for this book and others in preparation.

Good luck with your drawing projects.

AlanG

Alan,

I strongly agree, the XB-33 really is quite an interesting aircraft! One of the things that draws me to it is that it seems production was cancelled not because the aircraft was bad in any form, but simply because it was no longer considered necessary. It's also quite a looker, with its sleek lines and twin tails, which I am an absolute sucker for. Stan was indeed the person who sent me those pictures, he's also provided me with great diagrams for the PBM. If only I had messaged him before modelling started, I could've saved myself quite a few months of work! Live and learn, I suppose. If you ever want to talk about the XB-33 or the B-32, feel free to message me or email me. I'll go ahead and make a thread showing how my model's going in a couple of days. Certainly curious as to how well some of my "guesstimations" fair against the real aircraft.

Best of luck with your book!

Cheers,
-Matt

Hey guys, been working on the XB-33 a bit more while waiting to hear back regarding the B-32 documents. Wanted to start a thread on it, but I'm not sure what the proper category would be. Would that fit under "Start to Finish Builds"?

Yep .. that's the correct sub-forum for posting of the thread. So please do that there. There have already been posted threads by Witold Jaworski for such modelling of P-40 and SBD Dauntless. I recommend checking on these.
Thanks, the thread is now live! It can be found here :)
I have browsed that section before, was quite fun seeing T-Bolt's lovely Twin P-40

As mentioned before, looking forward to it
Glad to hear it!

Good news, I have now heard back from the Smithsonian. They have quite a few materials I'm interested in (including 3-views), and I will be ordering those from them! I will not be able to post them on this thread, however, due to permissions regarding the images.

Last edited:
I have some amazing news! The blueprints arrived today. Will get them scanned tomorrow and probably start work on the aircraft later this week.

So I figured I'd post an update here, this project will be delayed until at least August, as I was forced to leave my blueprints with a friend due to a university housing situation for the time being due to the current pandemic. When I do get back to the US I will pick those up again, as well as try to get my hands on some microfilm for individual parts. I was originally going to try to eyeball/guesstimate details, but a close friend in modelling a B-25 piece by piece and I find the results amazing and inspiring, and would like to do the same. Stay safe and stay healthy, y'all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back