Requesting hinomaru yosegaki flag translation

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lightning14

Airman
Feb 25, 2016
Shinpachi - I am new as of today but have noted in internet research that you have translated flags for others so I am seeking you out. I have three flags, two of which I believe are likely post-WWII GI souvenirs but a third I know the provenance of (my uncle) and it is definitely the real thing. I am most interested in the third and perhaps identifying its original owner for the potential of its return. I am a retired Marine and aware of the significance of these flags to any surviving family members. I will be presumptuous and send you photos of the third one first as it is the one I have the most interest in and perhaps you could look at the other two later. These were taken several years ago and I tried to march around the edges of the flag and hopefully did not get any of the characters reversed, Can you help?

Attachments

• IMG_2527.JPG
    IMG_2527.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_2528.JPG
    IMG_2528.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    332.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    385.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_2532.JPG
    IMG_2532.JPG
    391.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2533.JPG
    IMG_2533.JPG
    395.4 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2535.JPG
    IMG_2535.JPG
    337 KB · Views: 163
In clockwise,

久長運武祈(= 祈武運長久) ...................... Praying for your good fortune in battle
正義 竹高秒(?) ...................... "Justice" by Taketaka
英米撃滅 貞刈峯稔 ...................... "Destroy UK & US" by Minoru Sadakari
至誠 ...................... Sincerity
忠勇 ?? ...................... Loyalty and bravery
溝口才助 ...................... Saisuke Mizoguchi
祈奮闘 岡田一敏 ...................... "Praying your good fight" by Kazutoshi Okada
祝馬場定作 ...................... Celebrating (Mr) Josaku Baba
敵国降伏 財前政勝 ...................... "Beat the enemy" by Masakatsu Zaimae
江平明 ............ Akira Ehira
盡忠 大桐範吉 浦野義憲 ................. "Loyalty" by Norikichi Ogiri, Yoshinori Urano
波荒キ太平洋ニ友ヲ送ル 登道男 村野虎松 大久保七郎 .......... "Seeing our friend off to the Pacific of furious waves" by Michio Nobori, Toramatsu Murano, Sichiro Okubo
菊地永太郎 ...................... Eitaro Kikuchi
武運長久 田原忠利 ...................... "Wishing your good fortune in battle" by Tadatoshi Tahara
頑張レ 浜田幸夫 ...................... "Fight!" by Yukio Hamada
正義 長尾豊太 ...................... "Justice" by Toyota Nagao
忠孝 柴田荿九郎 ...................... "Loyalty and filial piety" by Jokuro Shibata
祈武運長久 廣松忠市 ...................... "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Tadaichi Hiromatsu
誠心 高田豊 永田博 松尾敬造 ................."Sincerity" by Yutaka Takada, Hiroshi Nagata, Keizo Matsuo
大東亜防人 野中?? ...................... "Defender of Great Asia" by Nonaka
??????????????????? 南(楠?)田初文(?) .............. writen too well to read by Minamida
祈武運長久 梅林秋義 前田百合子 ...................... "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Akiyoshi Umebayashi, Yuriko Maeda
祈武運長久 一番ヶ瀬共一郎 ........ "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Kyoichiro Ichibangase
深谷アサノ ...................... Asano Fukaya
必勝 高田正男 ...................... "Win" by Masao Takada
忠烈 小野 ...................... "Unswerving loyalty" by Ono
大戦奮闘 ...................... Struggle in the war
征け太平洋怒涛を蹴って 南井常雄 ........................ "Go to fight passing over the angry waves of Pacific" by Tsuneo Minai
一死報国 馬? ...................... "Die for the country" by Baba(Baba's father?)
祈武運長久 ...................... Praying for your good fortune in battle

In clockwise,

波荒キ太平洋ニ友ヲ送ル 登道男 村野虎松 大久保七郎 .......... "Seeing our friend off to the Pacific of furious waves" by Michio Nobori, Toramatsu Murano, Sichiro Okubo
武運長久 田原忠利 ...................... "Wishing your good fortune in battle" by Tadatoshi Tahara
祈武運長久 廣松忠市 ...................... "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Tadaichi Hiromatsu
誠心 高田豊 永田博 松尾敬造 ................."Sincerity" by Yutaka Takada, Hiroshi Nagata, Keizo Matsuo
??????????????????? 南(楠?)田初文(?) .............. writen too well to read by Minamida
祈武運長久 梅林秋義 前田百合子 ...................... "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Akiyoshi Umebayashi, Yuriko Maeda
祈武運長久 一番ヶ瀬共一郎 ........ "Praying for your good fortune in battle" by Kyoichiro Ichibangase
征け太平洋怒涛を蹴って 南井常雄 ........................ "Go to fight passing over the angry waves of Pacific" by Tsuneo Minai

Wow - thanks very much! I've been trying to get it translated for years but for some reason the two previous times I tried the folks I asked appeared to be reluctant, perhaps because of the "Destroy UK and US" and similar sentiments. Is there a chance that the original owner's name is on the flag? It appears that the names are simply his well-wishers although is "Baba" a possibility?

There are other Japanese soldier personal items which came to me with the flag, although I am not certain from the same individual, three of which I have attached photos of here.

Given some research - in fact there is an excellent discussion here - Japanese soldiers' identification tags • Axis History Forum - the tag is a Japanese enlisted man's dogtag, the three lines being left to right, unit name, company number ( I believe the character at at top center is a "4"?), and serial number. It is brass. Could I please get a translation? If the flag has no name, this piece at least seems ripe for the potential of successful research and return.

The second piece appears to me to be some sort of medallion or "fob" (see the top hanger) representing various trades (but with crossed flags at the top). I believe the "scissors" in the center are tailor's shears, while there is a brush at the left with perhaps paper and even more fascinating, a tiny abacus at the 6 0'clock position on which the beads are actually separate pieces which move up and down. It appears to be silver and the various pieces appears to have been added one by one and soldered in. Perhaps the soldier had been a tailor and this was some sort of "guild" or occupational keepsake? There are characters on the "book" at the 3 o'clock position as well as on the "scroll" at the 7 o'clock position. My camera is unable to zoom in far enough to focus properly on them. I would sincerely appreciate and ideas any of you might have - although I collected militaria for many years, I have never seen anything like this in any grouping I have come across.

The third is a small wristwatch (perhaps an inch square) with what I believe is the name of the owner scratched onto the back (am I correct, Shinpachi?). It is missing its second and minute hands and is marked on the face: "Chronometer Empress". I have also enclosed a photo of the interior of the watch as it has a maker's mark (appears to be a flying crane) and serial number (397151). The interior is as clean as it likely was on the day it was purchased - thus I am fairly certain it has not been opened since the war.

Sorry for the barrage of information, but once I got started I thought I would address all three of these. I realize these are personal possessions and have treated them with respect since I was given them.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7384.JPG
IMG_7382.JPG
IMG_7385.JPG
IMG_7392.JPG
IMG_7388.JPG
IMG_7389.JPG

Wow - thanks very much! I've been trying to get it translated for years but for some reason the two previous times I tried the folks I asked appeared to be reluctant, perhaps because of the "Destroy UK and US" and similar sentiments. Is there a chance that the original owner's name is on the flag? It appears that the names are simply his well-wishers although is "Baba" a possibility?

There are other Japanese soldier personal items which came to me with the flag, although I am not certain from the same individual, three of which I have attached photos of here.

Given some research - in fact there is an excellent discussion here - Japanese soldiers' identification tags • Axis History Forum - the tag is a Japanese enlisted man's dogtag, the three lines being left to right, unit name, company number ( I believe the character at at top center is a "4"?), and serial number. It is brass. Could I please get a translation? If the flag has no name, this piece at least seems ripe for the potential of successful research and return.

The second piece appears to me to be some sort of medallion or "fob" (see the top hanger) representing various trades (but with crossed flags at the top). I believe the "scissors" in the center are tailor's shears, while there is a brush at the left with perhaps paper and even more fascinating, a tiny abacus at the 6 0'clock position on which the beads are actually separate pieces which move up and down. It appears to be silver and the various pieces appears to have been added one by one and soldered in. Perhaps the soldier had been a tailor and this was some sort of "guild" or occupational keepsake? There are characters on the "book" at the 3 o'clock position as well as on the "scroll" at the 7 o'clock position. My camera is unable to zoom in far enough to focus properly on them. I would sincerely appreciate and ideas any of you might have - although I collected militaria for many years, I have never seen anything like this in any grouping I have come across.

The third is a small wristwatch (perhaps an inch square) with what I believe is the name of the owner scratched onto the back (am I correct, Shinpachi?). It is missing its second and minute hands and is marked on the face: "Chronometer Empress". I have also enclosed a photo of the interior of the watch as it has a maker's mark (appears to be a flying crane) and serial number (397151). The interior is as clean as it likely was on the day it was purchased - thus I am fairly certain it has not been opened since the war.

Sorry for the barrage of information, but once I got started I thought I would address all three of these. I realize these are personal possessions and have treated them with respect since I was given them.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 338056 View attachment 338057 View attachment 338058 View attachment 338059 View attachment 338060 View attachment 338061
Oh, I thought it was over.
Translation is genuine desk work. Some may like it but others.
Please allow me a few days.
Thanks.

PS: Yes, the flag owner was Josaku Baba.

Shinpachi:

My apologies for presuming upon your time - I didn't mean to. It's just that this was something I have been trying without success to address for several years and perhaps I got a bit too enthusiastic when you solved it. There is certainly no rush, please address if and when you have the time. But now that I know the owner's name, perhaps I can start pursuing the return of the flag. I have somewhat of a history already with "historical advocacy" such as returning medals to families and correcting errors in the historical record. I have attached for your information one instance among many.

Best regards and thank you again.

Attachments

• CanberraTimesStory.jpeg
    CanberraTimesStory.jpeg
    921.8 KB · Views: 124
But now that I know the owner's name, perhaps I can start pursuing the return of the flag. I have somewhat of a history already with "historical advocacy" such as returning medals to families and correcting errors in the historical record. I have attached for your information one instance among many.
Best regards and thank you again.

Important work you are doing there. I wish you the best of luck with your current and future undertakings.

Cheers

Steve

Firstly, please let me pay my great respects to your philanthropic activities, Chuck.
It's noble.

Here is my answer about your collection.

Dog tag:
(Unit code) 3252
(Branch) 477
(Soldier ID) 57

Miniature kit and what each item means:
Manchukuo flag x Japanese Emperor flag = Friendship between two countries
Helmet = Men in the military
Umbrella = Women at home
Scissors = Industry
Writing brush, Ink stone, and Ink stick = Education
"一手三元" is one of the most famous Chinese ink brands
Abacus = Economy
"暦道書/萬年皇暦" Calendar road statement book = History and future

I think this kit was issued on March 1, 1934 when the Emperor of Manchukuo was enthroned.
The wristwatch owner was Mori.

01.JPG
02.JPG
05.JPG

Again, wow. I sincerely appreciate the extra effort you put into annotating the photographs as it will aid me in discussing it with others.

Interesting - I wonder why the "fob" was carried all those years (if issued in 1934). Perhaps the original soldier-owner was present in Manchukuo at the time and was presented with this "commemorative" (what we in the U.S. would call an "I was there" item) medallion at the time. I just noticed that there apparently was once a cover to this that snapped in place like a pocketwatch case - there are the remains of a hinge on the side/bottom of the rim of the fob. It has no identifying information on it, so I'm not sure what I will do with it; but if it turns out that the dogtag for example belongs with the owner of the flag, I may just include it in the assumption it might have belonged to Soldier Baba. Or, perhaps include it with the Mori watch if eventually returned. Then again, if I find out that either Mori or Baba was an "old soldier" with service in China, that narrows it down as to who might have owned it.

I will pursue the information on the dogtag - I noted in an old Axis Military Forum thread that there apparently is a master set of books with these numbers which could help narrow down the identity of the soldier in question. If anyone out there knows a shortcut to getting to those books (such as a subject matter expert on Japanese dogtags) please let me know and I will pursue.

I will also look into the name on the watch, although I would imagine that there were any number of Moris in the Japanese Army at the time. Although again, if a Mori (on a list of Moris) had previous service in China, then that may place the original owner of the Manchukuo piece.

Thank you for the compliment. I was spurred back into action on this as I noted a stack of Japanese dogtags in a case at a militaria show and it saddened me that they were likely removed from a person as a souvenir, thus making identification all the more difficult. Every one of those represented a person. The exigencies of combat in the Pacific dictated rapid burial of the dead and we did not go to the lengths we did in Europe to identify enemy casualties. However, having kept the tags with Japanese casualties even if buried would have greatly aided efforts since the war as those graves continue to be discovered.

Thank you again. I have two other flags but as they are likely post-war GI souvenirs I will give you a rest and revisit their translation at a later date.

I will be sure to post updates regarding any progress I make on the flag and the dogtag, watch, and fob/medallion.

Best regards

In clockwise,

Shinpachi - there isn't an identifying town, school, or workplace on this is there?

Regards

OK thanks - just wanted to check before the flag is turned over to the OBON 2015 researchers for potential return to Japan.

Thanks again -

Chuck

Thanks David :)
I think Chuck does not necessarily have to care about the flag so much if his uncle did not ask him to return.
If cared, that would be endless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back