Researching "Avenger" wing debris ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bruceman

Recruit
Sep 6, 2008
Hello everyone, After doing some research trying to ID a possible piece of wing wreckage that has come into my possession belonging to a WW2 Avenger, I have come to this site for help. I currently live (summers) on a small island on the coast of Maine. During the latter years of WW2, a TBF Avenger that was being ferried to a Maine airbase supposedly crashed just off shore in a snow squall. There was a lone pilot (from New Zealand) who was lost and no confirmation of wreckage nor witnesses were to be confirmed. A short rescue search turned up no results at the time. The confirmation of the exact crash site has never been discovered ! It appears that the "missing" pilot's family were only told of a probable crash. In any event, after the war, local fishermen went about their lobstering and scallop dragging work in the general area of the supposed crash. From time to time, a piece of the supposed wreckage was dredged-up accidentally in lines and some pieces were retained. A particularly large piece that appears to be a wing segment from the Avenger's folding wing was dragged up a beach beside my cottage where I have managed to get it up on my lawn and attempting to clean it up for further ID'ing ! I am posting here in an attempt to get any possible help in identifying this artifact for both historical and perhaps to relay this info the the pilot's family ! I am in the process of removing barnacles,seaweed, etc and measuring and doing a photo documentation of the piece. The segment is about 10 feet long with aluminum framing with rivets (appear to be stainless steel) and several "cut-outs" in the length (presumably access points to wing's interior)..... but, the "smoking gun" , I hope, is a heavy-duty joint knuckle where the wing folded-up (which is in pretty decent shape) ! Are there any readers out there who might be able to shed some light on ID'ing this wreckage? I will provide some detailed photos shortly. Most interested, I wait for help...... Sincerely, Bruce

With the ident of the pilot being a Kiwi and the proximity to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia makes me wonder if it might be off a RN carrier or a guy on OTU in Shearwater

I'll be on the road for the next day - if you could get photos, that would be a big help, especially if they include part numbers and any inspection stamps next to the part number. Also look for data plates.

Hi Bluehawk, Thanks for the reply. I spent a couple of hours today romoving barnacles and other marine encrustations from the wing remnant. I will do some photos soon to send out to those who have volunteered assistance. One smaller section that I spent time cleaning with a dremel-tool with a soft brass wire attachment did a great job. The "rivets" appear to be stainless steel as they polish-up nicely ! I will send some photos along soon. Thanks again, Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back