Revell 1/48 scale P-47N

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Loiner

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
Ok, finally finished my latest 1:48th creation, after about 8 weeks (on and off), just completed the finishing touches to my Revell P-47N, about an hour ago.

I liked the kit from the moment I opened the box, nice crisp details and a good box full of parts (ie full weapon load, good interioir for cockpit and pilot) and had a good decal sheet with three options. I chose 507th FG based on Ie Shima in '45, (they only entered service in late '44 as the ultimate Thunderbolt version).

I used 'Mr Metal Color' for the aluminium finish, which I was slightly disapointed with the finish having been promissed a magnificent metalic looking finish, but it is satisfactory. I used my new 'Pro Modeller' wash for panel joints etc which worked well, and Micro Set and Sol for the decals.

All in all, an enjoyable build, not too much filling to do, and was generally a reasonably stress free experience, and did quite a bit of reading up on the P-47 during building to become fully familiar with the type (something I normally do with any build).

Here's the images -

Attachments

• Kit 1.JPG
    Kit 1.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 448
  • Kit 2.JPG
    Kit 2.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 351
  • Engine 1.JPG
    Engine 1.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 321
  • Cockpit 2.JPG
    Cockpit 2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 345
  • Cockpit 3.JPG
    Cockpit 3.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 335
  • P-47 port 2.JPG
    P-47 port 2.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 320
  • P-47 port 1.JPG
    P-47 port 1.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 334
  • P-47 plan 1.JPG
    P-47 plan 1.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 343
  • P-47 front 1.JPG
    P-47 front 1.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 474
  • Cockpit 4.JPG
    Cockpit 4.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 324
  • P-47 port 3.JPG
    P-47 port 3.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 730
  • p-47 port 4.JPG
    p-47 port 4.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 314
  • P-47 port 6.JPG
    P-47 port 6.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 328
  • Pair 3.JPG
    Pair 3.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 302
  • pair 2.JPG
    pair 2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 298
  • Pair 1.JPG
    Pair 1.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 310
  • P-47 stbd 2.JPG
    P-47 stbd 2.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 293
  • P-47 stbd 1.JPG
    P-47 stbd 1.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Last pic shows it better. Nice job mate.
The metal finish looks OK to me, if a bit even, and a little 'flat' A bit of variation here and there on the next use of the paint, and maybe some slightly polished areas will make a difference, but it does look like a typical bare metal finish after exposure to the elements.
I'm guessing it looks a lot better in 'the flesh', as photos tend to dull things down a bit.
Nice work mate!

Thanks for the comments folks.

The photos are not brilliant and do make the finish look a bit flat, but she has a slight satin sheen in the flesh, quite subtle but how I wanted it. I'll take it out in the daylight at the weekend to get some better photos, the problem on weekdays is permanant darkness in the evening during the cursed winter months.

Its the first 'Jug' model I've ever done, and enjoyed reading and learning all about them probably more than doing the kit (with the books I bought while inspired costing more than the original kit).

Look forward to more pics mate. If you want to try another, relatively inexpensive but excellent P47 kit, I recommend the one Karl has just bought - the Academy 1/48th P47D.
You won't be disappointed. (Reminds me, I must finish the final details on mine !!)

Thanks. I've got quite into P-47s while doing this one, and was considering doing a 'D' some time in the future, so may add it to the list some time.

I'm liking that P 47 very much! You've done an excellent job on the finish. That Revell kit was going cheap in ModelZone in Chester a while back. Turned out nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back