Revell 1/72nd Supermarine Walrus Mk.1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt308

Glock Perfection
Apr 12, 2005
Washington State
While I'm wrapping up my SR-71, I'm beginning another.

Couldn't be more of a 180 degree change of direction. From Mach 3.5 to Mach 0.13. I've always loved the Walrus and am giving myself a real challenge here, as I have never done biplane rigging. :shock: Scary, but fun.

I have a few other changes up my sleeve, but will save those for a later discussion. Basically an out of box build with only minor modifications.

Attachments

• DSCF1760.JPG
    DSCF1760.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF1761.JPG
    DSCF1761.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF1762.JPG
    DSCF1762.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF1763.JPG
    DSCF1763.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCF1764.JPG
    DSCF1764.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 218
I don't want to do the post war French Navy, though the colors would look real nice. I'm going to do the Royal Navy HMS Victorious Pacific Fleet. The model manufacturers should quit fooling themselves. Box art sells. And even though this kit is VERY basic (novice level of detail), I liked the box art so much it sold me. Besides, I like the more crude models, as they always give me a little more challenge. When I was younger, Hasegawa was king. But now there are some 1/72nd models that are leaps and bounds as good or better.

The colors are giving me some trouble, but I think I've found a pretty close match.

Attachments

• DSCF1766.JPG
    DSCF1766.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 208
Looking forward to the build shots on this one Matt.
BTW, I know it's a bit late, but I found another interesting mission-profile article on the Blackbird, if you'd like me to e-mail scans? No really useful pics, but good background.
Terry.

Looking forward to the build shots on this one Matt.
BTW, I know it's a bit late, but I found another interesting mission-profile article on the Blackbird, if you'd like me to e-mail scans? No really useful pics, but good background.
Terry.

Only if you have the time, Airframes. Please don't go out of your way.

I don't want to do the post war French Navy, though the colors would look real nice. I'm going to do the Royal Navy HMS Victorious Pacific Fleet. The model manufacturers should quit fooling themselves. Box art sells. And even though this kit is VERY basic (novice level of detail), I liked the box art so much it sold me. Besides, I like the more crude models, as they always give me a little more challenge. When I was younger, Hasegawa was king. But now there are some 1/72nd models that are leaps and bounds as good or better.

The colors are giving me some trouble, but I think I've found a pretty close match.

Looking forward to it Matt!

As for paints, Tamiya Sky is good for the bottom, while Model Master Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey are what you want for the top. Slate looks more green than grey, but it's accurate. I've built a couple birds in those colours (Hellcat, Corsair Mk.1), and they seem to be accurate.

Ought to nice there Matt use some 2lb fishing line for the rigging.I used that on a He 51 in 1/72 German Navy came out looking realistic.Kevin

I have a soft spot for the Walrus as well. I remember building Matchbox old 1/72 kit as a kid....maaaaany blue moons ago! Look forward to the build mate! 8) Btw, does anyone do the Walrus in 1/48??

When I was young I made a paper model of the flying boat in 1/33 scale.

Attachments

• 1980_6.jpg
    1980_6.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 222
I've seen the SMER kit, and built a couple of their other models a while ago. They're a little on the basic side, nothing wrong there, and very good, especially at such low prices! BTW Jan, your new avatr has a slighly distracting wobbliness about it!

Easy stuff first.

Upper and lower wings. And outer sponsons.

Nice fit overall.

Attachments

• DSCF1775.JPG
    DSCF1775.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1777.JPG
    DSCF1777.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSCF1786.JPG
    DSCF1786.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 175
There is no interior detail, only seats for pilot, forward observer, and rear observer. No control column, no decal for instrument panel etc. Not in the mood to attempt a scratch build, I'm opting for all black interior to mask the "sparseness". Note that the interior "wash" was not painted for score, as you won't see it anyway. The outer hatchways are left bare, for future painting of proper color which looks like a grey zinc chromate best I can tell.

I also wanted the pilot and copilot/forward observer to both be in the cockpit scanning the seas for that downed pilot, with the rear gunner/observer scanning the skies for those dastardly Zekes.

So had to make a flat extension of the cockpit "floor" from heated and stretched sprue hammer forged in the volcanic depths of Mt. Biclighter. The instrument dials are made with gloss white dabbed with a paper clip and then a razor knife used to make scale needles by allowing the scored area to show the black underpaint. I had no pics of the instrument panel and assumed the panel to likely be rather sparse.

Good progress this week, since I have the whole week off from work. More modeling for me! The cheek windows were not included, but I have a cunning plan. At first I wanted to try making my own, but talked myself out of it given the sparse interior. More on that later.

Attachments

• DSCF1776.JPG
    DSCF1776.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF1793.JPG
    DSCF1793.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF1795.JPG
    DSCF1795.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Back