Revell F-101B Voodoo, 1\48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BombTaxi

Tech Sergeant
Nov 27, 2004
Barnsley, S. Yorks, UK
Hi folks

I was caught a little offside by the request to do a thread for this build, so the first stage of the instructions is actually done (I work quick when I'm motivated :lol: ). So here's a few pics of where I'm up to, and I shall do my best to explain how I got there.

The kit itself is moulded in fairly hard grey plastic, except for the canopy components. Decals are provided for two F-101Bs, both in overall aircraft grey finish, belonging to 15th FIS, Davis Monthan AFB and the 18th FIS, Grand Forks AFB. The 18th FIS machine is shown on the box art:

VoodooBoxshot.gif

The first stage of assembly is actually some tiny fuselage details, and the wing module, rather than the cockpit, as you might expect. Firstly, the two fuselage halves, joined spine to spine by a single sprue, are removed and cleaned up, and a fuel vent is fitted to each side of the aft fuselage...

100_1659.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_1660.jpg

Having got this small task out of the way, the fuselage is put aside, and work begins on the wings, which essentially consist of a lower wing, two upper wings, two landing gear doors, and the engine intake assembly. The model can only be built wheels down, unless you indulge in some surgery - unusual, but not a problem as I wanted it that way anyway.

Firstly, the two undercarriage doors are fitted to the lower wing. The door piece actually includes the door, and the interior of the flap bay, as highlighted below:

100_1663-1.jpg

The method of fitting is surreal, to say the least, as it involves placing the part inside the landing gear opening, and then rotating it into the correct alignment. I got it right by fluke after about a dozen dry-fits, then had to replicate it twice more with glue, as well as another dry-fit. I may have been a little bamboozled :lol: Anyway, here's a pic of the instructions for that phase (which weren't a great deal of help):

100_1666Detail.jpg

Having got the doors in, next job was the intake assembly. Simply an upper and lower half with turbine fans at the aft end of the intake tubes. Once completed, it was placed onto the lower wing. The turbine blades are actually not visible due to the shape of the intake ducts and the lack of light, so I haven't shown them here, and the ducts will be painted when the exterior of the aircraft is, to cut down on masking. Here's the assembly in place. The upper wing halves were added directly after the assembly was fitted:

100_1661.jpg

Finally, splitter plates were added to each intake. There were a bit fiddly, as the intakes seem to be slightly the wrong shape for the splitters. Still, with some glue and firm pressure on the intakes, everything lined up nicely:

100_1665.jpg

And finally, the completed module from below:

100_1662.jpg

Next up is the pit, this *looks* fairly straight forward, and I will post as soon as I have some progress

Cheers

BT

Neat stuff. My dad was at KI Sawyer in Michigan in the early 60s when they had 101Bs. Those also had the MB-1 Genie nuclear air-to-air missile. I only have one photo of the ones there and they were polished aluminum. Not sure about the ones Grand Forks and Davis Monthan.

Cheers both 8) Evan, I think the Aircraft Grey is a later scheme than polished aluminium. The 18th FIS flew Voodoos out of Grand Forks from 1960 according to my research, but there are pics online of 18th FIS Voodoos in polished aluminium. So I would say mid-60s is probably the timeframe for this build. This kit also has Genies and Falcons too, so it will be a real Cold War fighter :lol:

Voodoos were either natural or grey depends how it came from factory I believe they were different schemes because thet cherry picked the lo time airframes for upgrading
some nice schemes on 101's my favourite being the NDANG and the Happy Hooligans also the Texas ANG 101's were cool as long as a few RCAF ones like the "Electric Voodoo" tail number 101067. IMHO this is one of the best aviation photos of all time

Attachments

• voodooa29.jpg
    voodooa29.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 316
  • blkvoodo.jpg
    blkvoodo.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Good start. I remember watching CAF Voodoos at the Canadian International Airshow in Toronto when I was a kid. Fast, loud, and turned like a car on black ice. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words guys. Hurricane Compo has hit South Yorkshire just as I needed to get some spraying done, so progress is very slow at the moment. The pit is basically done, but I need to undercoat the bang seats before I paint them, and that won't be happening any time soon from the looks of the weather. I have had to make do with sticking the fuselage halves together (the pit and gear slot in after this has been done). Will stick up a few photos as and when I have something to show :(

One thing I will say, this thing is huge. I'm used to 1/72, so I was quite unprepared for the size of this beast. Might have to annex the spare room for display purposes... :lol:

Thanks for the kind words and pics guys. Hurricane Compo has hit South Yorkshire just as I needed to get some spraying done, so progress is very slow at the moment. The pit is basically done, but I need to undercoat the bang seats before I paint them, and that won't be happening any time soon from the looks of the weather. I have had to make do with sticking the fuselage halves together (the pit and gear slot in after this has been done). Will stick up a few photos as and when I have something to show :(

One thing I will say, this thing is huge. I'm used to 1/72, so I was quite unprepared for the size of this beast. Might have to annex the spare room for display purposes... :lol:

It lives! :lol: One of the great ironies of being 'Off Work' is that you actually have less time to do things than you do when yo're putting in 40 hours a week. Nevermind, here's a few progress pics

Bang seats ready for assembly and assembled ready for painting:

100_1668.jpg

100_1669.jpg

Finished and ready to go into the 'pit:

100_1671.jpg

And the finished 'pit:

100_1675.jpg

100_1674.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1672.jpg

I decided to keep thing nice and simple for the 'pit, so I didn't use the decals supplied for the instruments, nor did I do any dry brusing - I tried and it looked horrible, so I went back to black. Again, don't know if the colours are accurate, but I went with 10% kit instructions (which are more or less monotone on painting anyway) and 90% 'what looks good'. I really want to enjoy this first large-scale jet build and get used to the scale and detail, rather than go for total accuracy at this stage.

Thanks for looking

BT

Cheers chaps 8) I'm on a roll this evening, so here's a few of the pit installed in the fuselage:

100_1677.jpg

100_1681.jpg

100_1682.jpg

100_1683.jpg

I'm planning to mask and fit the canopy, then spray the entire airframe, which should prevent painting the canopy from being as tedious and drawn out as it usually is. Unfortunately, the weights I ordered for the nose went to the wrong address, so I'm sat waiting on them before much else happens. I'm assembling and painting a few other subassemblies so that I can crack on once the weights are here and the main airframe ready for spraying.

Nearly a month since I had the chance to do anything, but today is set aside for serious Voodoo-building! :lol: A few pics with the wings and stabilisers fitted:

100_1688.jpg

100_1687.jpg

100_1686.jpg

100_1685.jpg

100_1684.jpg

The nose gear bay is also fitted, it can just be seen through the nose opening in the last pic. Behind it and below the cockpit, the wapons bay interior is on, just need to get the rotating door fitted and painted prior to spraying the entire airframe. A few surface details also need to go on, and obviously the nose, which now houses a 1oz (28g) lead fishing weight. Hopefully that will be enough to make her sit right.

Cheers

BT

Cheers 8)

She is, indeed, huge by my normal standards, and the undercarriage is well forward, hence the massive nose weight. The pics you posted last month have got me thinking about an RCAF scheme now, I'm just going to see what decals are about :lol:

Last edited:
I think that was Neil (pbfoot) who posted the pics but I'd like that. I think there are decals still available for Canadian Forces birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back