Revell Ju-87 D Stuka 1/48 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KevinK.

Airman
Aug 30, 2010
Belleville, IL
Well, I blame all of you for getting me back into this mess! ;)

This Revell Ju-87D Stuka has caught my eye and now sits on my workbench (aka kids art table). I've refreshed my paints and tape. I also have decided to try airbrushing (at least some of it), this would be a first for me. I'll probably have to finish a few models until I decide on how I like to do things as far as painting and building. I'm a bit nervous about starting up again especially seeing everyone's great work here. My better half said that I have to finish the kitchen remodel before I get too serious about getting back into the game. So it might take a longer to get started and make consistant progress.

Notice "high quality" yellow sticker to the left of the package. Not only do I use an old table. I also use an older piece of counter top. If you go to a kitchen or counter top outlet store you find these leftovers (I found some for $1/each). This is the cut out for a kitchen sink. It's about 34" x 32" or so. It also makes a portable work area while on your beloved's kitchen or dinning room table. It's almost impossible to destroy and stain resistant (also easy to clean up).

Attachments

• DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 407
Plunge right in Kevin! There are many of us, including me, who have restarted the hobby after a long hiatus. Don't be shy. Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions. You're in the right place.

There is some incredible talent on here Kevin, and the best thing to do is learn from them 8) I have learned a vast amount from being on this site, and I am sure I would not be half as capable as I am if it weren't for the advice I get here

Hey...we don't mind taking the blame...bring it on!:D

LOL.....What's your address I'll send the missus around so she can take out her frustration on somebody else other than me.

On a serious note Kevin how's the model coming along, I also have a soft spot for the Stuka. Thanks also for the tip on the counter tops, you learn something new all the time.

I'll be able to get some done this weekend and will put some pics up as I go along. I've been itching to get going on it. I can hear it taunting me from the otherside of the house....:shock:

I'll get the handles installed on the cabinet doors for the kitchen on Friday. Wifey needs to get a paint color and tile picked out. She's been dragging her feet and until she does, it leaves me time for other things! :)

Welcome, Kevin

You came to the right place. Like you I just restarted the hobby a couple months ago and had the same fears of ruining a nice model, but I kept on reading and learning from all these fellows and I feel a more capable modeler now. Have lots of fun.

Opening the Kit and first impressions: It all looks smaller than I remember...This could get interesting quickly.

The parts look to have been molded pretty well, no major flashing issues or mold lines. Some of the smaller pieces are going to seem to be an issue, but that's really no surprise.

The paint/color chart is pretty vague with various shades of grey serving as a color chart. Lucky for me the photo's on the box do a pretty good job of giving me an idea of what needs to be what.

Ok, now it's time for questions. I have always been under the impression that panel lines are lines IN the body parts no RAISED from the body. Is it just this kit? Or have I just been missing something.

Something else of interest, one of the flaps has "RV-MM LLC. 1968 China" stamped on it. LOL, a little something I'll need to file and sand off.

I have decided that I will be skipping the airbrush on this one, and hand paint it from start to finish. I'll wait until I get some more practice getting things together first. Just paint as I go.

I've got conflicting things on the cockpit colors. Shows dark grey? All of the picks show dark grey, but nothing very clear on the instrument panel. So, some cleaning of the cockpit parts, and getting the interior body ready, seats ect. I'm skipping the pilots, but in case I get really motivated LW Uniforms are Dark Grey? Or Blueish Grey?

The panerl lines should be engraved, but this is an old kit, originally from the early 1960s, with your example post-1968, but from the same moulds. The process of producing the moulds back then didn't allow for fine engraved detail within the economics of production, so raised detail was very common, the 'norm' in fact, up until the early 1980s.
The RV-MM etc is the Revell - Monogram copyright mark, an annoying habit they had of putting this on the outside!
The colours you need would in RLM numbers, the German Air Ministry paint numbering system, and would be RLM70 and RLM 71 for the teo upper surface greens, with RLM 65 for the blue undersides. The cockpits would be RLM 66 , a mid dark grey. These numbers can be checked against your preferred paint type/make to obtain the relevant paint numbers/colour.
Luftwaffe uniforms were a dark Blue Grey, similar too, but darker than, RAF uniform. However, the crew would also wear other clothing, such as a flight jacket, or often a one piece flight suit, the latter being a sandy brown colour.
Hope this helps a bit.

Yesterday, I made sure that the paint and brushes I had were still good, and dug the tool box out of the back room. Went shopping, refreshed paint supply, tape, model filler, glue, cement, and beer. I was feeling cocky so I bought a beer that was new, and I hadn't tried before (this I'm sure becomes important later and the cause of all my problems). I was ready!

Tonight, laid out my tools on the table, open the kit, and made the previous post. I start to clip the cockpit pieces away from the sprue...clip, file, sand...clip, sand.. I started thinking about the cockpit details, wondering if I still had a steady hand to hit the details. Open the first bottle of beer... and it's disappointing really not good, but it's cold and paid for so away I went.

I really was feeling good and though it's been years since I've built airplanes, I've had plenty of experience building models for war gaming. So it's all coming back. I tinkered over my paints, took a break and went looking online for some color instrument photos, found something that would work. Open the dark grey..and stopped... I had forgotten something, something important I was sure.. I applied a few strokes to a bit of sprue tree, drank more beer. While waiting my test spot to dry, I removed the fuselage from the sprue. ..clip, clip..file, file, sand, sand, sand.... took a look at my test paint spot, and wondered why it looked thin, and a bit runny. I promptly drank another swallow of beer, and decided it's really almost not worth drinking.

Primer, I forgot Primer!!!! :oops: I should really know better. Sadly, I hadn't bought primer.

I did have some left over that was used for painting the gaming mini's. It's a GW White Primer used on plastic models. It still sounds good, I'll do a test spray on a box on Saturday. Before I even try it on the Ju-87. I need to know if the nozzle is bad, and if it's not separated. Using white might seem a bit odd, but it would work in a thin coat.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I didn't take any pics, seeing that I didn't make much progress. If I get it primed, I'll start post some pics.

Cheers!

It doesn't matter what colour of a primer you have. The white colour is guite good as a primer one but I would suggest using of a grey colour.The major feature of any primer is how good it can stick to a surface of a model. The paint peeling isn't what modellers like the most.Also you should pay your attention to a kind of the primer. I mean if it is an oil enamel or an acrylic ( water) paint.The reason is that you can apply these water paints on surfaces primed with enamels but never inversely.

Sometimes it is enough to wash up a model with warm water and soap and then get it dried before painting.

Last edited:
Ahh kevin it seem as if you have everything quite under control. Except maybe for the beer!
I personally don't use a primer on my models unless I have a pesky centre seam that I want to check what it looks like under paint.

Cheers Switcha

I did manage to get some Enamel Primer (grey, Testor Masters), and get the fuselage, and cockpit parts primed. I'm working long hours the next few days so do not expect much progress until middle of the week.

I want to thank everyone for the support and advice!

Today in my modeling world.

1.) I had some time today and got the base coat on the Cockpit interior, instrament panel, and seats. The paint seemed to go on thin and not a very even coat. I added a 2nd lighter coat and that seemed to even things out.

Sadly since it's dark grey on grey it doesn't show much. I'll get some pics up when I start adding details to it.

2.) I'm also worried about raised panel lines. I'm not sure if I'm good/confident enough to sand them down and grove the lines in. I was wanting to shade/highlight them a bit. With them being raised, I'm not sure how to procede. Any ideas?

3.) My camera doesn't take close up pics very well, despite having a 'micro' setting. So I'm not sure of what kind of detail oriented pics I'll get up. I've tried different settings with flash. So far I've not been very happy with the results. I'll keep trying though.

Kevin, do you have an SLR with aperture select mode? If so, the key to good close-up shots is lots of light, a very small aperture (I use F32 with a timer) and a tripod or fixed surface you can place the camera on. My shots take about 5 seconds of exposure but I get huge great depth of field wiht a 50mm macro lens.

As for the panel lines, the only way to learn scribing your own is to practice. I have no suggestions for highlighting raised panel lines but if I were you, I'd leave them alone if you don't sand them down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back