Tough, reliable, able to absorb enormous amounts of damage and still get home. The ability to push the -39 engine to insane levels of manifold pressure helped tremendously as well. I've read on this site of as much as 75" hg being used on an engine that was rated for war emergency at 56".
Higher usable speed, especially at low level, compared to it's opponents. Keeping your speed up (diving or using what would now be called a "low yo-yo") allowed the P-40 to turn inside the Zero which had a difficult time with control forces past 250 mph.
Considerably more maneuverable than people today realize (an interesting description of it by the late Jeff Ethell in this video
View: https://youtu.be/rki8tnsLodQ
is of the P-40E being like "A Pitts with an Allison Engine". )
Perhaps it's wrong to say best overall in the war but I do think that in 41~42 it was a far better plane than many have remembered it as over the decades. OTOH, I do just simply like it. OTGH, if I had to fly combat in a single engine aircraft of any kind during WWII, I'd take a P-47.