REVISIONISTS – JAM THIS WHERE THE SUN DON’T SHINE! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
TOKYO - Japanese World War II leader Hideki Tojo wanted to keep fighting even after U.S. atomic bombs destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, accusing surrender proponents of being "frightened," a newly released diary reveals.

"We now have to see our country surrender to the enemy without demonstrating our power up to 120 percent," Tojo wrote on Aug. 13, 1945, just two days before Japan gave up. "We are now on a course for a humiliating peace, or rather a humiliating surrender."

Tojo also criticized his colleagues, accusing government leaders of "being scared of enemy threats and easily throwing their hands up." Surrender proponents were "frightened by 'the new type of bomb' and terrified by the Soviet Union's entry into the war," he wrote.

Diary shows Tojo resisted surrender till end - Yahoo! News

I'm reading "The Pacific War" right now. After the A-bombs were dropped
some of the die-hards, by way of protest, committed suicide outside the
gates of the emporer's palace. They were so deep into their "warrior does
not surrender" crap that they couldn't face defeat.

Charles

Abso effin' lutely!

The revisionists have been wrong every damn time.

It Hirohito doesn't get on the airwaves and call for surrender, my old man might have been part of Operation Downfall!

TO

Can you imagine how many lives would have been lost marching through the Japanese islands into Tokyo? My goodness, the number of lives that would have cost on both sides would have been astronomical.

Can you imagine how many lives would have been lost marching through the Japanese islands into Tokyo? My goodness, the number of lives that would have cost on both sides would have been astronomical.

Beyond belief is right. The island hoping campaign was a good one and, contrary to popular belief, not thought up during the war but beforehand.

But that is the problem with being the weaker industrial state in a war like the Pacific war. You have to defend everything whereas the stronger state can go anywhere it likes. It really gave the Japanese an almost insurmountable strategic problem. Couple that with the unintended two prong advance of the Central and Southwest Pacific and you have the makings of a diaster for the Japanese.

Which is pretty much how it turned out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back