RLM 02 Battle of Britain

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SpicyJuan11

Senior Airman
May 29, 2015
Luxemburg
I was trying to paint Franz von Werra's Battle of Britain Bf 109 scheme on an F-4 phantom and I wanted to double check my colors.

I am using Vallejo Model Color 70.886 Green Grey, however it didn't seem to match the color profile. What do you all think?

172FD567-FD8C-4653-BC56-F88DD36A2B57.jpeg

D96001FE-DE9B-4125-8A9F-05D21E075401.jpeg

A025429E-C6A0-47C8-BDB5-D111154C2348.jpeg

I've read that this is a really close match. Its Model Air but it brush paints fairly well.

Personally I'm not a fan of Model Air for brush painting even though I want to be (I love the range which is infinitely superior to Model Color): in my experience (and others such as Quick Kits from YouTube), Air is horribly inconsistent in terms of brushability, viscosity, and coverage (their USAF Light Grey needed 6-7 coats for full opacity). However, I have almost all Vallejo products including their flow improver, thinner medium, airbrush thinner, etc. If you know of a special formula that will make Air work for hand brushing, please please let me know.

The "02" on your Phantom looks OK to me. The profile is too blue.

Thank you. This kit was horrible (Academy, 1/144) to build and the quality of the finish is below par of what my better attempts look like (that damn dust appearing out of nowhere as the paint is drying), but I'm getting there.

Vallejo 70-886 is a good match for RLM02, certainly the colour charts in the Ken Merrick, Luftwaffe Colours & Markings books which are generally accepted to be reliable reference sources, but it also matches most others sources, RLM 02 seems to be one of the few RLM colours that most sources seem to agree on.

What a nice "109" !
Congratulations

Scale is ??

About the RLM 02 I agree your match ; it looks nice and more realistic than the profile ; same note for the RLM 65

I am not used to paiont with Vallejo because I ahve dozen,s of old Aeropm

I am not used to paint with Vallejo because I have dozens of old Aeromaster (later PollyS) bottles now disappeared. Their 02 was not bad as well

criannick

Sorry mate, thats a really bad Phantom model. Is it worth the effort? What scale is it? Im not criticising your work. I love german F4s and BF109s i get what you are trying to do . sorry no help with the colour. best rgds

Sorry mate, thats a really bad Phantom model. Is it worth the effort?
You're right, the model sucks, largely because 1) I'm a beginner, 2) the kit was horrible and I was left to attempting to "rescribe" panel lines with a hobby blade, which, as you can see, slipped a lot, 3) lots of debris somehow fell into the paint as it was drying, and 4) I sent a close-up high res picture where literally every single imperfection, big or small, is easily seen, it looks much better when it's 4 feet away on a shelf.

Sure, the finish is nowhere near the level of almost everyone else here, however I'm not trying to create some contest-worthy model. Instead, I'm just trying to slowly get better at the hobby through lots of practice. Obviously many of my models won't look good for a long time, however I don't think that means I should give up, it's just part of the learning process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back