RLM Colors for My Dora

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Dr.VanNostrin

Airman
Feb 11, 2008
Leeds, Alabama USA
Hey Fellers. I'm going to head-out to my two local shops today for some paint recon. I'm buying for my Stuka and Dora. I haven't decided which JG I'm going with...but I would like to get the colors for the interior and maybe some colors for the Jumo's. Have you guys got some RLM codes lying around? I think the interior base color is a dark greyish. And I've seen pictures of the Jumo 211 which apperared mostly glossyish black. So! Thanks guys! Can't wait to post some pictures.

Dr.V

Hi,

I think you should use RLM02 Grau colour for interior of the engine section.The paint was used for cross-sections painting and engine stringers as well.As far as the Jumo is concerned,in many pics the engine appears metalic not like these exhibited at museums.I would suggest to paint the engine with black paint firstly and then using a dry-brushing method apply silver one.Of course you can use some metalizers, Gun-metal etc...for instnce. Exhausting pipes - rusty, some cans( tanks) there with aluminium.For cockpit interior RLM66 Schwarzgrau.
If you can wait some day I can find something as a pattern for painting.

best regards,

Attachments

• RLM02 Grau.jpg
    RLM02 Grau.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 363
  • RLM66 Schwarzgrau.jpg
    RLM66 Schwarzgrau.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 332
Dang.... I spent like $200.00 today! What the hell?? ....I'm having to stock up on everything. I did find those RLM's... so two bottles of each in Model Master enamels.

I also found some great shots off google of the 213. It would be nice to have a parts manual too!

Say Wurger, do you have a suggestion as to which D-9 I should model? I'm looking for ideas. I want to do a open cowl version to show off the engine. Maybe with the engine slightly torn down with maybe a second engine in the crate close by... What do ya think??

See YA!

Doc.v

Doc.v there are quite a lot of D-9's to model these days due to the new books available By Japo Vol. 1 and II and Eagle Editions Vol.1. The number of photo's and profiles based on the photo's make for some difficult choices....I will let Wurger provide the first options for your perusal as you have made the request of him....he will not disappoint!

Thanks Wayne. I should say all my friends here have made great help to me. So! I don't really have a JG in mind. I'm really looking for something unusual, yet eye catching. If a story (Wurger) hits me, then I'll go with that unit.

I just love the overall shape and look of the 190-d series. But I would like a nice mix of colors. The Americans seemed to be pretty drab and not interesting to me. Not to mention the incredible engineering of our German friends compared to what they were up against. Could we have done the same???

The Jumo 213 is a incredible work of art. I want to really focus on this jewel. So here the help would be great! As well as interior cockpit ideas. Thanks so much guys!!

Dr.VnOS

Well, not to steal Wurger's thunder, do you plan on ordering decals? Eagle editions has plenty from all sorts of units. I got some from them, and they are superb, except for the spinner spiral as it would not fit on my spinner (Hasegawa, 1:32, no airbrush at the time).
Models001.jpg

Fw 190 D-9 decals

Well, not to steal Wurger's thunder,
I will let Wurger provide the first options for your perusal as you have made the request of him....he will not disappoint!

First of all I would like to thank you friends for this.That's very kind of you.:D

Doc.v there are quite a lot of D-9's to model these days due to the new books available By Japo Vol. 1 and II and Eagle Editions Vol.1. The number of photo's and profiles based on the photo's make for some difficult choices....

I agree with Wayne.There are a lot of very interesting painting camo patterns for Doras.I think it is not easy to suggest which one should be chosen.Generally, Doras were grey-green painted so all different colours on then make them much more interesting for a modeler.The later camo patterns where green-brown-light green what gave them more "life" and are interesting for us as well.
The "iron" patterns and ones of the most interesting for D9s are these of JV44 "Papagei Staffel".For this ,very useful is a Jerry Crandall's book "Doras of the Galland circus" with decals of Eagle Editions LTD.Other decal sheets of the publisher - as Catch22 posted.I have to tell you that my favourite D9 of Jv44 is this one with Red13 number.
There are some profiles I have found on the site :

Modelci Net Forum - Top Flite FW190 D9 Dora - Powered by XMB

Attachments

• doras of the galland circus3_kucuk.jpg
    doras of the galland circus3_kucuk.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 288
  • doras of the galland circus4.jpg
    doras of the galland circus4.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Fw190D9_JV44_Red13_1945.jpg
    Fw190D9_JV44_Red13_1945.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Fw190D9_JV44_Wnr600424_1945.jpg
    Fw190D9_JV44_Wnr600424_1945.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 244
There is a second part of profiles I can suggest to use.All seems to be interesting because of these red,blue,green or yellow paints used for markings.
As I said these paints make Dora's camo patterns "alive".Therefore I like these red,blue or green numberes on D9 sides.Personally these red ones are very nice to me.
So, look at the first Hans Dortenmann's D9 profile from JG26.The "Red1" number and yellow tail with not painted square for the swastick, for me it looks great, although the camo pattern was the RLM76/75/83 standard one.Also the last ome profile looks interestin.This was D9 of Stab II/Jg300 in 1945.THe camo patteren consisted of RLM 83/82 on upper surfaces and RLM76 (so-called RLM84 or RLM99) on sides and lower surfaces.The ailerons were probably painted with standard RLM76. Which one you will chose it's up to you.I hope I helped a bit.

Attachments

• Fw190D9_14JG 26 Wnr210003.jpg
    Fw190D9_14JG 26 Wnr210003.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Fw190D9_IJG 301.jpg
    Fw190D9_IJG 301.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Fw190D9_JG6.jpg
    Fw190D9_JG6.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Fw190D9_StabIIJG300_grun4_1945.jpg
    Fw190D9_StabIIJG300_grun4_1945.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 237
sorry but the last 3 profiles are quite incorrect

the JG 301 bird is actually yellow 15 as 8th staffel with blue numbers never had Doras.

the next one black 4 did not even exist.

the last one is speculative at best the JG 300 birds looked like JG 6 a/c without any Reich defense bands of blue/white/blue. no numerals either as a possibility, as fotos indicate chevrons both in black and white........ 4 Doras served in the Stab. of II./JG 300 both D-9 and D-11's, when the profile first came out I asked the artist and he said he just did not know positively.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Erich.The Jg301 Dora should be yellow,although I found in some books profiles that look different.

Attachments

• Fw190D9_IJG 301_.jpg
    Fw190D9_IJG 301_.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 220
The "Black4".Something interesting.In two or three books about Fw190D I've found the same profiles with description that it was Dora of III/JG54 used for protection taking off Me262s of Kommando Nowotny.So I don't understand.Could you make it clear Erich,please?

Attachments

• Fw190D9 IIIJG54 black4.jpg
    Fw190D9 IIIJG54 black4.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 228
it's a JG 2 machine Würger not shown in the profile with red bands they should be a faded dirty yellow as several pics of the Doras exist of the unit with a black vertical bar.......that is my point

III./JG 54 did not use that style of band nor did they even have blue Reich bands on their Doras

what do you mean ? EE's Green hearts book has all the info on III./JG 54 doing the silly protective high cover for Nowotny's band, they did a lousy job.

EE's volume 1 on the Dora 9 released the last couple of months which covers JG 54 Doras but not quite in the detail of the first title I recommended.

The blue reich band was used on A-8's and A-9's into the fall of 44 then dropped

Very Interesting!! Thanks guys. Erich, you clearly have a great knowledge base on these matters. As do you Wurger. This is a area that I find great fun in my job as a restorer. The Research to the facts is great fun and very interesting. I understand that during the time of the Dora the Sh*! was hitting the fan. So it may be alittle difficult to nail down the details. I liked Wurgers Blue 15...Even thought it may not be correct..as far as the books go? Interesting...very interesting.......

Thanks again,

Doc.V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back