RN - 1950's carrier deck (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NR61

Airman
Jan 19, 2006
I'm building a Wyvern and decided to get a base for it as I would like to model it sitting on a bit of carrier deck, possibly with a few figures. I notice several types of carrier deck available but they tend to be either WWII and US or IJN.

I know US and RN carriers had different kinds of deck but would a bit of WWII US carrier deck look OK for a 1950's Wyvern?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Nigel

When I get home Ill have a look through my Janes WW2 fighting ships reference books there is a couple of carriers that where layed down in 45 and I believe served well into the 50s.

I'm building a Wyvern and decided to get a base for it as I would like to model it sitting on a bit of carrier deck, possibly with a few figures. I notice several types of carrier deck available but they tend to be either WWII and US or IJN.

I know US and RN carriers had different kinds of deck but would a bit of WWII US carrier deck look OK for a 1950's Wyvern?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Nigel

Nigel -

Try this first: HMS Centaur, Light Fleet Carrier (RO6)

use the WEB to refine search for color of deck surface, etc. The era was the emergence of the Angle Deck Carrier, particularly for jets. Also, search regarding UK Carriers during the Korean War

Here is a pic of HMCS Bonaventure light Brit carrier laid down in 45-46

Attachments

• bona5.jpg
    bona5.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Bona4.jpg
    Bona4.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 143
I'm not familiar with the Wyvern. Was it WW2? I remember reading that the Japanese Kamikazies did not do as much damage to the Royal Navy carriers as to the USN because the RN ships had steel plate decks whereas the USN ships had wooden ones.

I can only vouch for the Eagle and Ark Royal as fixed wing carriers of the 1960s and broadly speaking the actual markings didnt change much, but by that time they had discovered "Dayglow" paint (orange, red white) and it hurt your eyes on a bright day. You also need to remember that this was allegedly non-slip paint over armour steel so your nearest equivalent would be something like 1400 grade "wet dry" with lines painted on it. For accurate detail, if your deck park is behind the island you need a model sailor coughing his lungs up due to the sulphur from the funnel and you need to check out which areas were unsafe to park "bombed up" aircraft as radhaz (radar signals) could, and did, fire the armaments or release mechanisms.
Dragonsinger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back