Rocket launcher on a B-24 Liberator (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007
Bet a tenner you havent seen this....

b24  rocket_07.jpg
b24  rocket_01.JPG
b24  rocket_02.jpg
b24  rocket_03.jpg
b24  rocket_04.jpg
b24  rocket_05.jpg
b24  rocket_06.jpg

All coming from this ebay WWII US ARMY / AIR FORCE SET OF 11 B&W PHOTOGRAPHS - AIRCRAFT ROCKETS, SECRET. | eBay

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
apparently intended for rear defence, too cool, never heard or seen any set up like that, uses the bazooka tubes US fighters useually carried

The rockets are fired in an angle above. It could be fragmentation or smoke. Note the difference in angle of the tubes in the different pictures.

Got this in a book on the B-24 somewhere. From what I remember, it was a 'local' modification, and not very successful. Apparently the flash and smoke on firing scared the c@ap out of the tail gunner, who couldn't see anything!
A great indication though, of the measures taken to try to increase defensive armament, after the mauling during day light raids.

When I first looked at the pictures I thought it was an Offensive weapon, like Anti-Sub Rocket Thingy...
But why would they have that when they got 5-8000 pounds of bombs + 10 .50cal

Operational installation was completed just before hostilities ceased. But had to be tested in combat conditions to prove concept i believe. Fire selector switch in the tail turret, elevation adjustment in waist, rocket with T-5 proximity fuse. The 4.5 HE had the destructive potential of a 105 mm Howitzer and a large bursting. My question remains if the Germans had any notice of this in either Luftwaffe pilot reports or intel,

Quite a flak weapon it could have been

The RAF had two types of rocket installation for the B24 Liberator. This one, which is the one usually published

1671000857731.jpeg

And a second, less well known one, that fitted inside the aft bomb bay and was reloadable in flight. The rails swung down on a trapeze like affair. I've never seen an airborne shot with it deployed and it is usually almost invisible on the ground even with the bomb bay doors open.

Image here of it

And a model of the set up here

311 (Czech) squadron used a lot of the latter type during 1944. By Sept 1944 the aircraft began to have the rockets removed. Schnorkelling U-boats didn't make good rocket targets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back