Rockets on fighters.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
I probably already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. I know rockets on WW2 fighters were for softening ground targets, but was there ever a incident that a fighter used and successfully took down a enemy plane with unguided rocket?

I assume pilots would ditch all mounted explosives before air to air combat, but wanted to get input from you fine folks.

Read reports of Coastal Command Mossies firing thier 25lb AP rockets at enemy aircraft over Norway, dont recall anyone claiming hits though?

I think the original question was pertaining to the use of air to ground ordnance in an air to air context but I have to agree with Davebender. The 55mm R4M rockets (Rakete 4kg Minenkopfwere) were originally designed as an air to air weapon system but they were certainly an unguided rocket,with a contact fuse,and they certainly shot down US bombers.

The Luftwaffe also employed the Werfergranäte 21 (Wrf.Gr. 21 ) a 210mm mortar/rocket. You may have seen pictures of aircraft with the launch tubes slung under the wings. These usually had timed fuses if I'm remembering correctly, and were intended to break up the bomber formations (boxes) making them easier to attack.

Cheers
Steve

friend Walter Hagenah of III./JG 7 shot down 1 P-51 with his R4M's from his Me 262A-1a

[SC] Arachnicus;969251 said:
I probably already know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. I know rockets on WW2 fighters were for softening ground targets, but was there ever a incident that a fighter used and successfully took down a enemy plane with unguided rocket?

Apparently, yes. Lieut Louis Arthur ("Lou") Menard, VBF-12, has the distinction of being the first USN fighter pilot to bring down an enemy plane with a rocket, a deed done on 16 February 1945. Menard, in company with the other pilots of his division, Ensigns Manhold, Glasser and Barr, early in their second strike sortie of the day, found themselves in pursuit of a Ki-61, low and over the water. The Ki-61 was managing to stay just out of effective gunfire range and Menard's division, loaded as they were with bombs and rockets, just could not seem to close the gap. Mostly in frustration, Menard, after announcing his intention to his division, let fly with a rocket which sped past the Ki-61 and struck the water ahead in its path. The Ki-61 was caught in the blast of the exploding rocket and disintegrated.
- - See Bruce Leonard (no relation), Crommelin's Thunderbirds, page 38.

I am fairly confident that somewhere, somehow, at least one Russian pilot managed to bring down an enemy plane with their RS-82 rockets.

Air to air rockets do date from 1916 or so although tethered balloons are a much easier target to hit ( which is different than engage). Le Prieur rockets

AFAIR they shot down some Jap aircraft during Nomonhan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back