Rugby World Cup

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mustang nut

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Well the World cup is underway and since many of the participating countries are represented here, are you following it (is it even being covered in USA?).

My money is on New Zealand who do you fancy for the title?

Bye the way I was pleased to see and it came as no surprise that the minutes silence for 9/11 was immaculately observed by all.

With so many new nations playing, its going to be a long slug fest for the teams. Methinks all stand a good chance for the top honours are...
New Zealand, Republic of South Africa, England, Argentina, Fiji, Wales, Scotland Ireland

As for the underdogs whom could be dragon slayers and upset the pre-conceptions...
Tonga, Samoa, Italy, Japan Romania

Sorry to the others, one day perhaps you might make it...

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/index.html

Last edited:
I really hope New Zealand don't win it. So far nobody has looked outstanding, New Zealand were good in their first half against Tonga but poor in the second, could easily be beaten (and were in their last 2 matches before the tournament). Scotland were poor against Romania, England were worse against Argentina but both still won through. The Welsh looked all right but still no killer instinct, South Africans are always relatively slow starters so should improve as the tournament progresses. Of all the big teams they have the big match mentality of just grounded out wins, need to change the starting line up though, John Smit maybe the captain but he shouldn't be in the first team.

Home nations don't stand much of a chance in this one, French will play as they always do and will be beaten in the later stages. Should be an all Southern Hemisphere final, smart money would be on New Zealand vs Australia. Still my heart is saying Scotland/England or South Africa, first 2 don't stand much of a change but the South African's can do it if they play the right form of rugby. Don't meet New Zealand until the final either which is a plus...

One of the Southern hemisphere giants will win. My money is on Australia (tri-nations champions). You can't discount New Zealand at home but I don't fancy South Africa this time. I always like to see Argentina do well but this won't be their year.
From the Northern hemisphere the usual suspects,England and France will do well,Wales may surprise a few people too.
There are other teams who,fielding their first fifteen,can cause an upset but playing this many games of arguably the most physical game there is requires strength in depth. There is no way you will keep your top fifteen players fit for the entire tournament playing every game. Only the premier nations have squads with the requisite quality.
Cheers
Steve

I follow rugby but only the national team , so in this World Cup I hope we (Canada) let France or the Kiwis know that it won`t be a walk in the park.

Canada got a fantastic result beating Tonga. I take my hat off to them for that. Tonga may only have a population of 100,000 or so people spread across the archipelago but Rugby is a religion to them and many of their players play in top professional leagues around the world.
Canada can certainly beat Japan which should leave then satisfied with their performance in a very difficult group.
You never know what the French will do,on a bad day they can be awful which would make for an interesting game. I think they'll be too good for the Canadians in the end. New Zealand is definitely a bridge too far.
I've been very impressed with the performances of the so called second tier nations. The gap between them and the established nations is definitely closing which must be good for the game.We are not seeing any matches finish with cricket scores.
Cheers
Steve

Canada is also coached by a legend in Taranaki Rugby, I hope they go well and maybe make the playoffs if France dont have the best time (odds are that wont happen)

Yeah, Slade is nothing on Carter. Without him New Zealand will struggle against the better teams. They did capitalise well on their opportunities today hence the score but the Japanese weren't great, but good teams can do that do you. Canada's result was a really good one, didn't see it coming and they did play well. Whilst they maybe an easy team to beat for the top nations, the second tier nations will have some trouble against them no doubt, be interesting to see the results of the remaining games.

I think that New Zealand without Carter will struggle to win this World Cup, with the stand a better chance. Will be interesting to see what happens in the quarter finals and semi's if Carter isn't fit to play.

England and South Africa play tomorrow, should be victories for both but the margin of victory will give an indication of their form for the rest of the tournament, both were poor in their previous games.

South Africa v Fiji tomorrow morning (UK time) and England v Georgia the next day. I won't be getting up for Argentina v Romania at 4.30 tomorrow morning :shock:

Steve

Well I'm watching another Australian scrum being destroyed by another Northern hemisphere team and this time (unlike the final that England eventually won) the referee is giving the penalties the right way. Bad for me as I've got a few quid on Australia but well done Ireland.
Steve

Didn't see the game but France destroyed Canada , would have liked to see a closer game

The final score belies the fact that Canada hung in there with France until the last 10-15 minutes. The appalling weather may have helped their cause but the Canadian lads have nothing to be ashamed of,they certainly did not roll over.

Wales had to work hard for their win. The England score hides the fact that they were pretty ordinary and will need to improve a lot to have any hope of being serious contenders.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, the Canadians gave the French a good game until the last quarter. English played better which is good to see, looking like they will top the group. Wales did well to beat Samoa, still not firing on all cylinders and didn't play as well as they did against the Boks, should still finish second in the group.

Didn't see the game but France destroyed Canada , would have liked to see a closer game

Damn the germans there are nine channels on sky sports and all were showing repeats of the Bundesliga. I read the text commentary on France Canada, the Canadians did well at the start but France are a top team.

Italy Russia tomorrow and then Aussies against USA on 23rd that should be a great game.

Well Italy stuffed Russia and little Tonga beat Japan

USA v Aussie that should be a great game and the Aussies cant afford to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back