Russian Air Force Museum at Monino

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
I tripped across this page... Very cool.

Lifting body, SU-26 on skis, concordski, and others

I posted this in "Landing Neutral Country" too but it's worth a look for those that missed it.

Monino museum highlights

SU-26 on skis.

The skis created a large "rooster tail" of dust and dirt following touchdown and during roll-out. They nevertheless allowed the aircraft to operate from extremely rough surfaces.

The skis created a large "rooster tail" of dust and dirt following touchdown and during roll-out. They nevertheless allowed the aircraft to operate from extremely rough surfaces.

Very interesting.. thanks for the photo... did it have a drag chute for landing on snow?

Very interesting.. thanks for the photo... did it have a drag chute for landing on snow?

Sukhoi's experiments were designed to accommodate for rough, wet, boggy unprepared strips. I think the aircraft stopped very quickly-no chute needed. Take-off was a problem, requiring RATO.

They tried various combinations...

They also developed a ski/wheel combination that could land on 'almost' any surface.

Again, thanks for the photos.

The aircraft in the museum photo does not have a wheel on the nose gear. I was wondering if they experimented on frozen lakes and snow. There a drag chute would be helpful. With all the interest in the Arctic now a days, I'm curious to see the new weapons systems that will be developed.

I cant imagine using RATO to take off from a bog! snag a skid and tumble into a cloud of flames!

Amazing website, thanks for posting. I like how the civilian Tu-95 still has the plexiglass nose.

Matt, the Plexiglas nose, for the navigator, was utilised on Tupolev's transport aircraft from 1946 until the early 1960s. I don't think it's a leftover concept from a bomber genesis. The Tupolev Tu-70, Tu-75, Tu-104, Tu-110, Tu-114, Tu-124 and early models of the Tu-134 all had a visual navigators position. It was finally dispensed with in later versions of the Tu-134 which used the Gronza weather radar.
I don't know why Tupolev insisted on having this position incorporated in his early airliner designs, but it was dispensed with after his death.

The Tu-134, apart from a glazed nose, was also a testbed for numerous other 'noses' including that from the Tu-160.

The navigators position in the Tu-114. You can just make out the glazed nose behind him.

Amazing website, thanks for posting. I like how the civilian Tu-95 still has the plexiglass nose.

YEAH! I wanna rent the place out... let the vodka flow... call some Russian ladies, hire a rock band and talk about aviation!

:lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Thanks for the info Graeme (I want to pronounce that "Grimey", what's it mean?) The glass nose would be nice I suppose, but does not seem at all necessary.

If i saw that damn transport I'd think "Run like hell, they painted it funny and it's comin for us!"

Comiso, you might just be on to something. First forum gathering there!

Thanks for the info Graeme (I want to pronounce that "Grimey", what's it mean?)

Try pronouncing it phonetically as "Grey-em." It's just a first name, Scottish, I think, probably means 'Loser'!

The glass nose would be nice I suppose, but does not seem at all necessary.

Yeah. It seems to be a Soviet tradition. I don't know of any Western equivalent.

Haha, funny stuff.

Russkies have their own ways of doing things. To each his own I suppose. Keeps a good deal of this forum active, that's for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back