Russian aircraft carrier (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sunny91

Video Extraordinaire
Apr 2, 2005
A vid take on the Aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov.

Sunny

Attachments

• russianaircraftcarrierAdmira_Kuznetsov.wmv
    35.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 800px-Su27K_%28Su33%29_DD-SD-99-06153.jpg
    800px-Su27K_%28Su33%29_DD-SD-99-06153.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 208
Great vid, sunny! I'd heard that the Kuznetsov didn't have a catapult system. It seems like such a waste of an aircraft carrier- now the planes can't carry as much ordinance and fuel.

That was honestly the strangest video I've seen in a long time. Beautiful aircraft.

Reminded me of the US Navy. Except the deck crew is moving at half speed. Both of them. The only thing missing in that video was the audible chirping of crickets. Nothing more than a big toy. Certainly they never do REAL sea trials with that thing.

I noticed a few "touch go's", and some landings. How come no take
off's ? I didn't see any yellow shirts (directors) red shirts, (ammo handlers) or
purple shirts (fuelers). Didn't see any plane guard DD's or rescue helo's
either....

Must be some "hooligan navy"....

Charles

Really odd watching take offs with no cat.

No doubt they tell everyone that the glorious russian navy is so advanced that it doesn't need catapults.

Its for the first line Yak-38s.

By the way, did anyone catch the Su-25 on the flightdeck? That things carrier qualified? Now I've seen it all.

Good observation on the Frogfoot, Matt, I missed it the first time around. It is decidedly not a flattering addition to your flight deck.

According to Wikipedia, the Yak-38's have a hands-free landing system. That's pretty cool. "One interesting feature of the Yak-38 was hands-free landing. The aircraft could negotiate a telemetry/telecommand link with a computer system in the aircraft carrier which would allow it to be guided onto the deck with no interaction from the pilot." Yakovlev Yak-38 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Yak-38 did have an automatic ejector seat. Once on the landing run, if the aircraft tipped or rolled beyond certain paramaters the seat automatically fired.
I think it was also the first seat to 'sense' if it wasn't going vertical and adapt accordingly.
Very advanced for the time

Good observation on the Frogfoot, Matt, I missed it the first time around. It is decidedly not a flattering addition to your flight deck.

[/url]

Yeah, and with the aft gear seperation as short as it is, it must be like landing an F4F at 130knots. :lol: Wouldn't want to try that at sea state 5.

Done some digging and found that she has been sold to the Indian Navy and is expected to enter service in 2008/9. That ski jump should be useful as the Indian navy has the Sea Harrier.
They bought her for the price of the refit, which sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

PS She has two lifts on the starboard side

Here's something...

This shows what I believe is the inexperience that is probably typical in the Russian Navy. A broke wire shouldn't necessarily result in an aircraft going into the drink!

Attachments

• Su_33_cable_collapse_on_Admiral_Kuznetsov_Sep__5_2005_.wmv
    904 KB · Views: 59
Honestly I don't have much love (none at all) for the Russians mostly because of the Soviet Union but they usually make pretty solid and reliable things...not good looking but they do their job...of course they also have their ups and downs like any other country...

Nice advert for the ejector seat but your right, it shouldn't have gone into the water.
Thinking about it, on this video and the previous one I didn't see any guard helicopter. For the pilots sake I hope I am wrong !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back