Salt technique and acrylics....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dneid

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2012
Austin, TX
Hey, Guys,
Well, to make my life a little more complicated, I am investigating the salt method for chipping. However, given that I am also switching over to acrylics for the 1st time (Vallejo), I have a couple of questions about the salt technique and acrylics:
1) When removing the salt, will the water lift the paint as well? Just how well does acrylic hold up to the water when removing the salt?
2) Just how do you get the salt to stick? I have seen a few videos on Youtube and quite a few use hairspray and salt. I would prefer to stick with just the salt at present. Trying to control the degrees of freedom in this learning curve.

Any and all feedback is much appreciated.

I used a 1/72 Hien as a test bed for both the salt and hairspray method. It's buried on page 2 of my Dora build that I did for the Winter GM...

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/-2...12-winter-war-eastern-front-wwii-41613-2.html

As far as your questions..

1. Removing the salt with water will not have an affect on acrylic paint that's been allowed to dry. This is based on my work using Tamiya, Gunze-Sangyo and Testor's acrylic paints. The dried salt crystals can have more of an adverse effect on your paint job if you try to brush it off dry.

2. I simply sprinkled salt grains onto a section that had been pre-wet with some water. Because of gravity, you will have to work on one section at time, facing up and you'll have to wait until the water dries a bit before you can start on a section that faces a different way.

I preferred the hairspray method. The salt method takes longer. All of the emphasis is at the beginning of the process (salt application) You have to get it right on the first shot because once the top coat has been sprayed, the salt crystals have predetermined where your chips are going to be. The hairspray method allows you to chip small areas at a time, inspecting as you go... more control because the emphasis is at the end of the process... I like that way better.

They definitely yield different looking results... the ideal would be a combination of both techniques. I strongly recommend a test before you attempt it on a "real" build.

Never tried it Dale.I think it was a Japanese subject.
Me neither! Mad salt chipping only looks good on the correct aircraft! No point in mass chipping an RAF wartime bombers fighters as it was rarely seen, Jap' aircraft is only the type I've seen this on.

Saw a Lancaster salt chipped to death, lovely model but the bad salt chip effect ruined it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back