SBD Dauntless Color Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Can someone help me with a question about the color schemes of the SBD Dauntless during the campaign in the Pacific?

To the best of my knowledge there were two different color schemes to these planes. One was the two color scheme of Light gray belly's with a blue/gray topside, Red/white rudder and the "STAR" with a red center no bars.

The other is the three tone color scheme, Light gray belly, blue/gray middle and a dark blue top with the STARS and BARS on the side.

Did the color scheme depend on the carrier they were attached to or specific years? I'm trying to nail down the SBD's color of those on the USS Yorktown during the Battle of the Coral Sea

Lastly what are the actual colors?

Thanks in advance.

If you look around the forum much more carfully you will find all infos here and that these two camo schemes depend on the period of time of the war.The scheme with the red/white rudderes was used at the war beginning and the second one was used later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back